Chapter One

CW: Self harm

THE QUIET WARD

"Your favourite patients back," 

Elle joked, taking off her used gloves and putting them in the trash. "Really? Wasn't she in just last night?" I asked, now getting a little concerned. "Yup, room four. She looks a bit distressed though," Elle added.

"Okay, tell 'Mara I'll be back to him soon," I said grabbing my pen from the table and heading out into the semi lit hallway. 

I knocked two of my knuckles on the door as I pushed open room four's door slowly. Billie was timidly sat on the bed, knees up to her chin. "Hey, it's just me," I said quietly as I walked in. The girls gaze flickered up to mine, her soft baby blue's relaxing seeing my presence.

"What bring us back here so quick, hm?" I asked taking a seat on the chair beside the bed. Billie shrugged. "Can I look at the stitches?" I asked with a tired sigh, this night feels like it's going on forever.

Billie nodded slowly, outstretching her arms to me. I stood up and dragged the chair over, taking her arm into my hands. I gently pulled her sleeve up and unwrapped the bandage I placed a few nights ago, placing it on the bed beside me.

Billie winced as I removed the gauze, as it was slightly stuck to her skin. "Sorry," I apologized under my breath, taking a look at the sewn slits in her pale skin. I every so lightly grazed my thumb over them, trying not to hurt the girl.

"They look okay," I said, looking up at Billie who was chewing on her lower lip. I wrapped the healing cuts back up delicately, before going onto her other arm. My eyes caught on a roughly bandaged part of her upper thigh, making me pause my actions.

"That wasn't there yesterday was it?" I asked pointing to it. "Uh.. No- No it wasn't."

"Can I see?" I asked.

A little bit of panic flashed through Billie's eyes. "Um," 

"Please?"

The girl reluctantly agreed, sliding herself forward on the bed, coming closer to me. I reached forward and unwrapped the white cotton from her leg, to be met by a simple bare thigh. I stared at it curiously for a few moments.

"Nothing? Is this how they let you in at triage?" I asked, looking up at her. The teen's eyes started watering, but she quickly covered her face. 

"Billie," I sighed, "You can't keep coming in just because you want to, hospitals aren't a hotel," 

"I know, it's just-" she started but a choked sob beat her to it. I hated seeing Billie cry, she's been coming here for just over six months now and seeing her hurting is something that never gets easier to see.

Although I feel that way about all my patients, there's something about Billie. I feel a need to protect her, in a way.

"Oh honey," I sat up on the bed beside her, rubbing her back. "My parent's, they won't st-top yelling at each-h other, and my dad he get's super angry, and I hate it, I can't s-stay there," the girl cried, hot tears streaming down her cheeks.

"My home doesn't feel safe anymore,"

Billie's shoulders slumped in defeat, wiping her face with the backs of her palms. My heart sank at the sight, no one should have to feel like this. "I really wish I knew how to help you," I said in all honesty. The blue haired girl leant into my side sniffing quietly. 

"I feel safe here, with you," She murmured.

My thoughts sped thinking about all the ways I could help her out, all of them completely unprofessional. But when it came to billie, I was almost getting too eager to risk my job for her safety. 

Turning a work lens back on, I had narrowed down my options and thought about it more realistically. "Let me go talk to Elle, okay? I'll see what I can do but don't get your hopes too high," I said finally, the girl taking her head off of me. 

"Okay," she said quietly, "Thank you."

I nodded my head and exited the small room, walking back down to the nurses station. "Hey so, I've just found out why Billie keeps coming in," I said walking up behind my colleague, Elle. she turned around with a styrofoam cup full of hot tea in her hand.

"Oh yeah? Why?" She asked leaning her back against the table.

"I think her parents are splitting, apparently they fight a lot, her dad quite aggressively. She told me she doesn't feel safe there, so she comes here to feel that sense of security I guess," I said with a small shrug of my shoulders. 

"Oh right. That makes a bit more sense, but she can't stay here forever," Elle pointed out. "I know, I told her that and she didn't take it quite to well, I wanna have a think tonight though for a better option, let her stay just one more night?"

"I don't know, Kerrie might not be too happy, she's got a bone to pick with that poor Billie," Elle rolled her eyes taking a sip of her drink. "I know. And fair enough too, Billie's costing the hospital a lot," I sighed letting my shoulders drop, "I'll make sure she's out by the time Kerrie comes in at nine? Just give her one last night?"

Elle sucked her teeth, giving me the look I know all to well. You owe me big time.

"Fine," 

"Thank you E, you're an angel," I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and put up my hands in a prayer position, walking out the break room doors and back down the hallway. 

"I'm snitching if Kerrie get's pissed!" Elle yelled after me.

I pushed back open the door to room four, Billie laying down on the bed in a ball. I walked over to the girl and pulled up the sheet, covering up her body. She glanced up at me, a glint of happiness in her eye, knowing what I was about to say.

"You can stay one more night, okay?"

1001 words.