Chapter Eight

DOZING OFF

The sun was starting to rise as I left the unit for the night. I unlocked my car and flopped inside with a yawn. Before starting my car I pulled out my phone and sent off a quick text to billie like I had said I would.

+1 213 854 5881

hey billie
your probably asleep but i just clocked off

Much to my surprise she responded quickly.

hi :)

hello
did i wake you?

no dw
i havent slept yet

why not?

rough night

:(
i'm sorry
are you okay?

idk ig

is it still bad or can you get some sleep now?

there's not necessarily fighting but i don't feel safe to sleep

dads drunk

okay i see
do you maybe want me to come by and pick you up on my way home?
or is that too much?

no its perfect
please come

okay <3
ill be there soon then

I put my phone down in the cup holder beside my hip and started up my car. Billie's house wasn't very far from the hospital, it's walking distance for her. Probably another factor in why she's here so often. 

The car tires hummed down the road, and soon I was out the front of billie's house once again. 

+1 213 854 5881

im out front

I put my phone back to its resting place and eyed the wooden door, waiting for Billie to come out. The door opened, and out came the girl in all black, except for some beat-up red dunks. She yawned, walking down her driveway to my car.

She opened up the door and took off her bag, putting it in the footwell before climbing in. "Hi," I smiled. She smiled softly back before picking up her foot and showing me. "Found these at the thrift store yesterday. I've never had money to buy cool shit like this, so I'm fucking hyped," she told me. But before I could respond, my phone automatically connected to my Bluetooth car radio, shuffling my library and spitting out "girl in red."

My face reddened at the song choice. Billie snickered, "Girl in red, huh?"

"You like girls?" Billie asked, making my face turn even darker. "I thought it was obvious..." I mumbled, avoiding her eye contact. "I mean, now that I think about it, it is. Don't worry. Me too," Billie giggled. "Look at you, I knew that already," I rolled my eyes, pointing to her attire. She frowned and playfully slapped my arm.

"Shit goes hard, don't even," she said, folding her arms across her chest. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Buckle up," I said, putting the car in drive and driving down the road. After our banter died down, the car went quiet apart from "Summer Depression" playing softly.

I don't know how this girl can go from a precious little girl to someone who sounds like she'd bang all my friends and my mom. I guess she prefers to hide that side of herself to be less vulnerable in her normal life, especially with her home situation going on.

ʚїɞ 

"Harley, it's literally your bed. I'm not sleeping in it again," Billie huffed as I laid down my blankets on the couch. "I want you to be comfortable," I said. "Trust me, I'm used to sleeping on couches. Take your bed, please," Billie reasoned. "You shouldn't have to," I murmured sadly. The room grew silent quickly, so I stood up. "If you really want to sleep on the couch, you can. But you can change your mind," I said.

"Do you want anything before I go-?"

Billie shook her head, so I headed into my room and shut the door so I could get changed into some comfier clothes. Once I was dressed, I reopened the door, and Billie was already laying down with her eyes closed.

I smiled warmly to myself at the sight and hopped into bed myself. I pulled the covers up around my chin and shut my eyes, easily drifting into a slumber.

It only felt like a moment before I was brought out of my sleep. I blinked and looked around the room until I could process what was going on. There was movement in the living room and a few sounds I wasn't quite comprehending.

"Billie?" I called.

With no response, I kicked the blankets off me and stood up. I trudged out of my room, squinting to see the couch empty. I walked further into the apartment and peered groggily around for Billie. My eyes landed on her in the kitchen, sitting with her back toward me, wrapped up in a blanket.

"Billie?" I called again. She turned around, wiping her face messily. I walked over, now concerned. "Are you okay?" I asked, putting a hand on her shoulder gently. She shook her head, starting to cry.

I sat down in the chair beside her to get a better look at her, but she took it as an opportunity to get into my arms. "What happened, love?" I asked, wrapping her up more once she was settled on my lap.

She shook her head into me, not answering. I rubbed her side for a few minutes comfortingly to see if she'd talk, but I was getting nothing. I yawned, "You must be so sleepy. Let's go back to bed," I suggested. Billie obviously felt very strongly about that idea because she objected very quickly and loudly.

"Why not?" I asked, only to get nothing but a small whine.

"What if you come with me to my bed? Nothing can hurt you if you're with me, right?" I asked. Billie pondered the thought before nodding hesitantly. I stood up, putting the bundled-up girl down between my legs. I gave her shoulders a gentle push toward my room and started to walk away in front.

"Wait!" she whined, shuffling after me quickly. I waited a second for her to catch up, then continued to my room with Billie by my side. "Which side would you like to go on?" I asked. Billie climbed up into the spot where I was originally, so I walked around to the other side and slid under the covers.

I let out a long tired breath and closed my eyes.

I felt Billie wriggling, but it didn't worry me until I felt her roll into me. I was now practically spooning her. My eyes shot open, and I tried to move back, but she grabbed me with a sleepy grumble, telling me to stay.

"I want you there..."

1100 words.