Chapter Three

CW: Self harm

HOME, NOT SO SWEET HOME

"Billie, you're gonna be okay. I'll be there soon, but please keep talking to me," I said, hopping into my car.I could hear some muffled noises and mumbling through the line, and I knew she was trying to mask what she was doing from me. But working where I work, I'm not that gullible.

"Billie, sweetheart, put the razor down, please. Can you do that for me?" I asked hesitantly as I started up my engine and buckled myself in. "Just one more," she choked out, now sobbing louder, knowing I knew what was going on. She couldn't hide it anymore.

As soon as I pulled out of the parking garage, I accelerated, speeding the whole way to her house. My stomach churned with anxiety about what was about to walk out of her front door. During the drive, I kept telling the girl just about everything I could remember to stop her from doing any more damage to her poor skin.

"Okay, Billie, I'm just about here. Can you come out?" I asked through the speaker. "I-I think so," she hiccupped. "Okay, good girl," I said, audibly letting out a sigh of relief when I saw her house number on the letterbox.

"I'm gonna hang up now, but I'm here now," I said, getting ready to press the red button. "Okay," she said quietly.

I slowed my car to a stop, got out, and waited by the bonnet for the door to open. When it did, it opened slowly, allowing me to see only a crack into the home. Billie slipped out of the house and shut the door gently.

She walked briskly down the path and came straight into my arms. The teen's cries started up again as soon as I wrapped my arms around her. "You're okay, I've got you now," I hushed, rubbing my palm in circles on her back.

"Come sit in the car. Let's go for a drive away from here, hey? I'll fix those arms up too," I said, whispering the last part. Billie nodded into my shoulder, so I opened up the passenger door, guided her in, and shut the door quietly behind her.

I walked around to the front of the car, sat in the driver's seat, and buckled myself in. "Uh, can-can you do mine, please? I don't think my arms can bend-" Billie stumbled over her words, trying to ask for help.

"Oh, yeah, no problem, love. Don't worry," I reached over and pulled the belt down over her chest, clipping it in beside her hip. "Do you want to go anywhere specific?" I asked. She shook her head. "Anywhere but here."

I nodded and started to drive down the road. I didn't have anywhere planned to go in my head, but I was keeping a lookout for any good spots to park the car. "It's really weird to see you not in scrubs," Billie said quietly. I let out a light chuckle, "Does it surprise you that I have a life outside of the hospital?"

She smiled to herself, which only made mine wider.

I saw an empty Walmart parking lot, so I pulled in and stopped the car. I unbuckled and turned in my seat. "Okay, can I take a look?" I asked, bringing one of my feet up onto the seat. She nodded timidly and held both of her arms out to me.

I ever so lightly pulled the hoodie sleeve up, making her wince and bite down on her bottom lip. "Sorry, sweetheart," I apologized as I got it around her elbow and upper arm. It was wrapped with toilet paper, so I gently tore it off.

There were many fresh slits lining her forearm, but luckily they were all horizontal and not deep enough for stitches. "I'm sorry," she squeaked, starting to cry. "Don't be honey, it's alright. I'm just gonna go grab some stuff from my trunk," I said, opening up the door beside me and getting out.

I popped the trunk and grabbed the first aid kit I had stored back there, bringing it back with me into the front seat. I sat back down and shut the door. I opened it up on my lap and grabbed some antiseptic wipes and a couple of rolls of bandages.

"As you know, this is gonna sting. You can hold onto my hand if you want," I offered, holding my non-dominant hand to her. She took it gratefully and closed her eyes, preparing for the pain. I pressed the wipe to her skin and made quick work of cleaning the openings of the wounds.

I didn't bother too much with getting the blood off because it wasn't that important.

Billie squeezed my hand tightly, whimpering as I dabbed the cuts with the disinfectant. "Okay, all done now, good girl," I said, opening up the bandage and starting to wrap it around her wrist."Are you ready for me to do the other side, or would you like to take a break for a little bit before I get started?" I asked as I pulled her sleeve back down. "Uhm, do it now," she nodded. Her voice had changed tone, now sounding more slurred and higher pitched. Almost baby-like?

"Okay," I responded, shrugging it off. She's probably just tired.

I repeated the same with the other arm. This one wasn't as bad since it was her dominant side.After I had finished, I closed up the first aid kit and put it in the back seat. "Are you hungry at all?" I asked, sitting back in my seat. It was nearing 9 PM, but I don't think the girl had anything to eat for dinner.

She didn't respond, just looked at me longingly.

"Well, Billie, I am hungry, and I would like to go get Taco Bell. Care to join?"

960 words.