Chapter Two

CW: Domestic abuse + Self harm

LEAVING WITH A SECRET

My shift was ending, and thank the lords above because these do not get any easier. I yawned, rubbing my face to try to keep myself awake for the last ten minutes as I trudged down the hall toward the room Billie was staying in and gently opened the door.

The blue-haired teen was sleeping peacefully, thumb hanging loosely in her mouth.

It's something I've seen her do a lot, and I don't know whether it's a habit, coping mechanism, or what, but I don't ask or question it. It's just something that makes Billie, Billie.

I flicked on the light, brightening the room. The girl almost instantly stirred in her sleep and brought her arms up to cover her face. "You gotta get up and outta here before my boss comes in, love. I'm sorry, it was the only way I was allowed to let you stay," I told her, earning a tired grunt in return.

"I know, I know," I sighed, leaning against the door frame. Once she had sat up, I walked over to her, fishing around in my pocket for the small piece of screwed up paper I put in here earlier."Don't tell anyone, I'm really not allowed to do this," I said quietly, handing it over to her. "I won't," she whispered, rubbing a fist into her eye. "That's my mobile, you can text or call me anytime you feel unsafe. I'm gonna try my best to help you as much as I can, okay?" I said, placing a gentle hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Thank you," she said quietly, leaning forward and wrapping her arms around my waist, hugging me. Her hugs were always warm, and she was very good at them for someone who doesn't seem to be hugged very much.

"It's alright, sweet girl. It's the least I can do,"

She let go of me, "I better get going then," she mumbled to herself. I stood back and let her gather her things. She slid on her hoodie and looked at me. "I'll take you out a back way," I nodded in the opposite direction of the entrance.

The girl followed me out, trailing behind me as I walked to the staff car park. "If you turn right down there, it'll lead you back out to the front, just a longer way," I explained to Billie, pointing down to a footpath.

She nodded, hugging me once again.

Without a word, she let go and started walking. I watched her do as I said, following the path. Once she was out of sight, I let out a small breath, going back inside to greet my boss and clock out.

 ʚїɞ

I woke up around three pm, night shifts are so annoying the way they fuck with your sleep schedule. I got up and made myself some food, fully waking up before I grabbed my phone to check my notifications.

+1 213 854 5881
hi it's billie

+1 213 854 5881
i don't think i thanked you enough

+1 213 854 5881
and i don't know if you really know how much i appreciate what you did for me

+1 213 854 5881
i'm forever grateful

A small smile grew on my face as I read over the text messages. 

+1 213 854 5881

hey billie!
sorry i took so long to reply
i've been catching up on my sleep

thank you for your kind messages
you're very welcome honey

I put down my phone for a few minutes as I spooned mouthfuls of leftovers into my mouth. My phone buzzed against the table, Billie texting me back.

+1 213 854 5881

hiiii
it's okay u deserve it

i
dk how u do it

do what?

stay up all night while working

ohhh 
me either tbh lmao
coffee helps a lot

ewwwww
coffee is grosssss

I rolled my eyes and laughed lightly to myself. I placed my phone back down and pushed my chair back, taking my empty bowl over to the sink and rinsing it out.

Part of me wanted to keep texting the teenager, but I knew I shouldn't.

Emergencies only.

I started on some chores around my small apartment that needed to be done. I haven't done a thorough clean through the house for a while. I put on some music and got to work, starting with my living room and organizing the heck out of it.

By the time I was done, the sun had started to set, which made me wonder how long I'd actually been cleaning. Cleaning is just one of those things for me that, once you get started and get into a rhythm, you can't stop.

I fell into the couch in a heap, grabbing my phone from the coffee table and catching up on some social media. After just half an hour, I was in a daze, my eyes glued to the screen when it suddenly started to ring in my grip, making me jump.

I looked at the numbers, and my heart rate skyrocketed. I couldn't figure out who it was, even though I was texting them just a few hours earlier.

I answered anyway, putting the device to my ear. "Harley speaking."

"Uhm, Billie speaking?" Her tone was soft and cautious. "Shit, sorry, Billie," I apologized, now realizing who I was speaking to. "It's okay," she said quietly. "Is everything alright?" I asked, getting settled into the sofa again.

"Not really," she whispered, her voice a little shaky. "There's lots of yelling, and I-I can hear hitting..."

I cursed under my breath, immediately feeling terrible for the girl. "Where are you? Are you out of the way?" I asked, now imitating her soft speaking.

"Mhm, I'm in the bathroom."

"Okay, stay there," I told her, a thousand thoughts rushing through my head.

Should I go?

She needs to get out of there, right?

What about the person getting hit?

"I want to hurt myself... I-I need to..." she said quietly, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Hey, no, we're not going to do that, Billie. I'm getting up and I'm coming over to get you. Where do you live?"

I hopped up from the couch and found some slides by the front door, slipping my feet into them and grabbing my car keys off the counter. "Stay on the phone, please. Keep talking to me."

"I sent you my location." Billie replied.

"Thank you, I'll be there soon. Stay on the line, though," I reminded, coming out of my apartment and taking the elevator down to the parking garage.

"I don't want to be here," the girl told me through the phone.

Working in a mental health unit, I hear those words a lot. But what worried me is that this was Billie, and she was alone.

1091 words.