Chapter Thirteen

ONE SPOON FOR TWO

"Take it slow, Bil. There's no rush," I scolded the girl, who was already trying to make her way out of the door, as I zipped up my bag. "There is a rush," Billie emphasized, turning back to me and sending me a glare. "Alright, alright, I'm coming. But seriously, take your time. I don't want you to hurt yourself," I said, throwing the bag over my shoulder and following her out.

The nurse manning the reception sighed a breath of relief, watching Billie and me finally leave, making me giggle to myself. I do have to admit I've been acting a little dramatic, but it was for a good reason.

"Can we get ice cream on the way home?" Billie asked, looking up at me with hopeful eyes once we stepped out into the parking lot. "Maybe," I shrugged, causing Billie's lips to fall into a frown. I laughed and rolled my eyes, "I'm messing with you. Of course, we can get ice cream!"

She smiled and hopped into my car. "You feeling okay so far?" I asked once I sat down as well. She nodded happily and leaned her head against the window. "What do you want to listen to?" I asked as I turned on the car. "Uhhmm, Kendrick? Do you like his stuff?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'll line up a couple of songs since Dairy Queen's not that far away. I'm thinking 'DNA' and 'All the Stars,' because I'm a basic bitch. What are you thinking?" I said. "You're right. That's basic, but they're still good songs. Put 'XXX.' on there too," Billie added.

I started the music and headed away from the hospital.

"Do you want to get the ice cream and then sit over there on that bench?" I suggested, pointing out the window once we parked in front of Dairy Queen. "Sounds good to me. Can you go get a cookies and cream blizzard for me, and I'll go save our seat?" Billie said, stepping out of the car. "Sure, and take this. It's a little cold out," I said, throwing a sweater at her head, making us both laugh when she didn't catch it.

"Okay!" she giggled, running off toward the seat with the sweater around her neck. "Please be careful!" I yelled after her, still laughing.

I walked over to the bench, two blizzards in my hands and a spoon in my mouth. "Here's your cookies and cream, m'lady," I said, placing it down in front of her. "Thank you," she smiled, then quickly realized I only had one spoon.

"Uhhh, where's the other spoon, Harley?" she asked me. "Oh shoot! I forgot. Sorry. Take this one. Only the tip's been in my mouth," I said, handing her the one I had. "That's what she said," Billie said, taking the spoon, making me pause and look at her with such disappointment. "What?" she asked innocently, making me raise a brow.

"Don't worry about the other spoon. We can share this one. Plus, I'm gonna eat some of yours anyway," Billie shrugged, changing the subject. "You—" I started but couldn't think of the right insult.

"You are a little minx, you know that, don't you?"

"What the fuck is a minx?" she asked, dipping the spoon into my peanut butter blizzard and licking the ice cream off it. "You. You are a minx," I said, taking the spoon back and doing the same.

"You love it though. If you think you don't, it's because you're lying to yourself."

I rolled my eyes playfully again and gave the spoon back to Billie after having another mouthful. "On a real note, I'm really glad you're feeling better," I said to her. "On a real note," Billie said, copying me, "I can't wait to fall into bed and sleep comfortably."

"Am I kicked out of my own bed?" I joked. "No, you're in the bed with me," she said. "Wait, that sounds weird now that I say it out loud. Does that make you uncomfortable? Is that stepping over too many boundaries?" Billie said, suddenly switching the tone of the conversation.

"Billie, stop. Don't overthink it. I'm okay with it, and you're okay with it. It's okay," I said, grabbing onto her arm to bring her focus onto me. "Are you sure?" she asked, uncertainty laced in her voice. I nodded, "Hand me the spoon."

Billie handed it over, so I dipped into her blizzard and held it up to her lips. "I've never been more sure."

Once we got home, Billie was starting to get super agitated with everything. It wasn't entirely me; it was everything. Her shoes not coming off was the first major issue, and then it was the blanket on the couch not being even across her body, and then it was the sound I made when I blew my nose.

I didn't know what had happened on the way back, but she wasn't acting her usual self.

My first thought was her regression, but she wasn't necessarily in the mindset of a child. She just was mirroring the level of patience, which anyone can do if there's another factor involved and bothering them.

Billie eventually tried to leave the room to find a quiet space in my tiny apartment, but with her careless stamping off, she mindlessly swung her hand into the door frame, making her groan and her eyes fill with tears. She dropped to the floor and cried out in frustration.

"Did that hurt, or are you just upset?" I asked gently, walking over to where she was sitting. She whined and grunted at me, which seems to be the only response I'm getting lately. I sat down on the opposite side of the door frame and held my arms out.

"I'll stop talking. Just let me give you a hug."

1017 words.