Chapter 23 - Welcome...home?

Natasha POV:

I sat there, the opposite side of the door to Inna. Twitches of a smile flickered in my face. That's when it settled in, I have a kid. I only thought of one other person I needed to tell but I couldn't do it here. The wheels of the quinjet pressed against the green grass of one of Clint's paddocks. Getting up I informed Inna that we are here. She looked nervous but she tried to hide it. Clint got up from his position and walked with a spring in his step.

The rest of the Avengers, if we could even call ourselves that anymore, stayed on the jet. "Don't steal my jet," said looking around the room. The refreshing smell of the country air hitting me like a brick. Inna followed me as the small country house that belonged to one of my best friends. The green of the roofs blended into the area around it while the cream walls gave it that homely feeling. I had always loved coming here, it was like a third family.

Seeing the two older kids running around the house with Laura holding the newborn in her hands, "Honey, kids, I'm home!" Clint called out as we went through the first gate leading to the home. Copper and Lila came running up to him as they came from the side of the house. After the embrace Lila crashed into me, I laughed hugging her back.

"Lila, Cooper, this is Inna," I introduced her, she gave an awkward smile and wave. We walked as a group to Laura, who was bound to the chair as the newborn lay sleeping in her arms, "Of course he falls asleep just as you arrive." She told me with a smile on her face. Lila stares at Inna before asking, "Do you draw?" Inna looks stumped by the question she looks up at me before she second guesses herself, plants a smile on her face turning back to Lila and replies, "I can always try." Lila smiles back at her, Lila leads her inside, pulling her by her hand. Cooper looks up at Laura, she gives him a soft smile, "Go play," she tells him, he grins before running back to the fields.

"I'll go make sure he stays safe," Clint says before leaving, or rather trying to leave. "No, he'll be fine" her manner is calm as Laura catches her husband, "Your not getting out of this one mister." He faces back the the triangle we had formed. Before Laura turns back to me, "I assume that's Inna," I nod in reply. Her voice is soft and she try's to reason with me, "Nat, you are really outnumbering us here..."

Inna POV:

Lila lead me inside the house, I immediately found myself in the living room, the wooden interior reminding my of the Red Room. An anxious calm flooded me as I thought of all of the resemblance to the Red Room this place had. The wood with the beamed roof. However there were also parts of this place that just seemed to fit with the multitude of colours thrown across the floor in pencils, paint and crayons. Lila mumbled to herself as she left the room, coming back with a handful of white paper. She dropped the pile on the floor, handed me a piece of paper and proceeded to walk around the room picking up very specific colours. Before plonking herself down on the floor next to the stack of paper and started to draw. I followed her actions picking up a black pencil and plonking myself down next to her, she looked up and smiled even wider at me before going back to her work.

I was stumped, what was I supposed to draw? It's not like we were taught to do this sort of thing in the Red Room. I just started to run my pencil up and down the page. The abstract shapes littering the page, I picked up several pens and pencils filling the shapes and outlining them. It didn't look half bad, I was finishing covering the gaps between the shapes with a dark grey pencil.

Swiftly the front door slammed, a pair of shoes walking away from the living room and disappearing into the house. My head shot up, "Hey Lila," I asked the girl laying next to me, "Where is the bathroom?" She looked up from the butterfly she was drawing. "It's at the end of the hallway," she told me. Smiling back in gratitude I walked back to the front door and walked down the hallway, I stopped a couple of doors from where the bathroom supposedly was. The door was cracked open and a newly familiar voice came from inside, having a one sided conversation.

I positioned my head so that I could see through the crack. I found Natalia, she was standing at the edge of the room, a phone pressed against the side of her head. She was smiling... this smile was not a friend smile or a sympathy smile, it was a different kind of smile.

She told her goodbyes and hung up the phone, she walked to the door. I quickly walked towards the bathroom. I was halfway through the bathroom door when she entered the hallway and called out to me. "I was just on a call to a friend," Natalia tells me, "But I am going now," she took a deep breath, "You're going to stay here."

"That's fine," I told her, having no emotion in my face or voice and with that I walked into the bathroom, shut the door waited for Natalia to walk away and then I sat in the shower of the white tiled room and broke down crying. My hands raked through my hair, as salty water leaked from my face. After a couple of minutes, I tried to compose myself, but she was leaving me with random strangers with no warning. She didn't want me, I didn't know that I cared if she wanted me until what she just did. I flushed the toilet to cover my long stay in the bathroom, washed my hands and splashed water on my face. I look up at the dripping face in the mirror and wondered if this who I really was. Crying over someone who didn't want me.

I walked back down the hallway and sat down next to Lila. A smile on my face. A fake on but a smile.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////A/N:

Who was Nat on the phone to!?!?!?!? (btw this will be her love interest)

Hope you have all had an amazing past few days.
Please interact with the book! Anything you do is highly appreciated.
Have an amazing rest of your day/night/whenever you are reading this.