?

Even with old skin and brittle bones, 

Yoriichi, an old man, lays his hand on his sword and unsheathes it.

You...

He performs the sword skill his brother envied so much... on his own brother.

His brother, no, the demon staggers and clutches at his rupturing neck.

He readies for his next opening. The last...

But he felt his grip loosen.

Why?

He succumbs to his own humanity.

Yoriichi and his elder brother were twin opposites. His older brother, Michikatsu, was always the one favored by his parents and the townspeople. 

But all of this was fine by Yoriichi. Yoriichi was not a needy or loud child. 

He kept very, very well quiet and his family rendered him as deaf.

He was very happy to even be alive. He had treasured his life like a pirate and his gold.

They all lived in pure bliss until one day, as the eldest, his brother began his sword training. 

Yoriichi found obvious mistakes in his movement and his breathing. But did this matter? No, he was sure his brother would push through. To be...

"Brother, your dream is to become the lands best swordsman, right?"

He wasn't surprised when his brother stared at him in disbelief. Using his tongue for the first time did feel a bit unnatural.

As if on their own, the corners of his mouth went up and his eyes softened.

"Then I will be the second best swordsman in this land."

He loves his brother. He is willing to learn all the sword skills in the world for him to be right beside his brother.

So while Michikatsu took his sword art lessons, he stood to the side watching, hoping for some instruction. 

With a bit of luck and a pinch of his charm, the teacher decided to give Yoriichi a chance.

He showed Yoriichi the basic sword holding position and told him to come at him.

He felt the wooden sword in his hands. He saw the blood circulation of both his and the teachers. He breathed easily through his mouth.

He will work hard for his brother.

In two blinks, the teacher was on all fours, panting to the ground. And then collapsed.

This...

Yoriichi felt nauseous.

This didn't feel right nor good.

Watching the instructor's body tremble on the ground, he felt like a murderer.

It was like he hit himself instead of the target.

"I'm sorry, brother. I can't become the second best swordsman in the land after all."

"H-Huh? What do you mean? That was absolutely awesome."

Yoriichi swallowed.

"I hate the feeling of hitting people."

Was... dying this warm and comfortable? 

Like being carried and swayed in a mothers arms, or like being gifted with a flute handmade from your own brother?

Yoriichi stops his struggling and lets himself relax. He opens his eyes.

He doesn't quite see anything at all except for two purple eyes that were on his. What happened?

"Bright red just like yours, aren't they?"

He realizes he is bawling at the top of his lungs and quickly stops his tears.

His hands were all numb and he couldn't move them.

"Oh, he is fairly handsome, aren't you, Tanjiro?"

Tanjiro?

But it wasn't a matter of importance, he will just tell them his correct name. After this short nap. Those purple eyes were coaxing him into a nice period of shut-eye.

His limbs felt foreign. 

Everything else stayed the same.

Same transparent world he looked into.

If he could point on one thing that was different, in a better way, it was his sense of smell. It helped him well in the kitchen. 

As he helped boiling water and chopping veggies, he wonders if he could be a chef. As if. He knows what he needs to do.

Nevertheless, he throws the carrots into the boiling water and adds pepper.

The snow outside relentlessly swiped at the windows, plastering them with flurry whiteness. 

He loved this family, being a son of it. Shortly after his birth, he had gotten a little sister that was gentle and loving.

Then a brother.

Then a set of twins, leading another boy.

He wanted to be a better sibling this life, and they adored him.

They accepted how he barely talks, how his sense of sight is so different, his mysterious birthmark, and how well he could fight.

They accepted it like a trait, and not a flaw.

It was as if he had five Michikatsu's

He loves them with all his heart.

"Tanjiro, you really don't need to go out in such weather!" Kie called after his disappearing back.

Yoriichi merely turns around, the cold winter wind blowing his cheek.

He wants new year to be nice with a well dinner.

"I insist."

One after another, his younger siblings come and beg to go with him. He genuinely wonders if he should bring them for a joy ride.

Before he could speak, his mother dismissed them and all of them stood in a row, waving to him, all ready to wait until he comes back.

Yoriichi feels a smile tug at his mouth just like before and waves goodbye.