calmer

Time had passed by again. 

Zenitsu, Inosuke, and Yoriichi were all sent on regular missions. Some they worked together, and some they completed alone. Either way, they came home mostly unscathed however fatigued.

It had been somewhat fun, seeing familiar faces on tasks for the demon slayer corps. Yoriichi very occasionally met Hashira's while on missions, the most regular being Giyuu, who seemed afraid to let Yoriichi on his own.

It usually went like this: Yoriichi arrives back at Butterfly Mansion after a short mission and immediately receives another. Giyuu sees him leaving and offers to follow him because of "Nezuko". He goes to defeat the demon with Giyuu at his heels, staring holes into the back of his head.

It made Yoriichi feel like a wrongdoer somehow.

However, this time he was given a solo mission; a time to breathe out and be alone once in a while.

It was also, coincidently, the time where the moon shined the brightest. Yoriichi could see like in a silver sunlight. It was nice because Nezuko was delighted at how the sun-like moon reflected in water. Whenever they reached a pond or lake she always glided her fingers across the glossy reflection.

But they weren't out to play.

The demon who's blood spills this night lives in a shallow forest. Yoriichi had arrived already.

Sprinting towards the nearest tree, Yoriichi sets a hand on his sword. 

The demon has a concealing blood art. 

No smell.

He closes his eyes.

The air always gives sign of beings that take up space.

Gripping his sword out of its sheath, he slashes at, seemingly, air.

The air lets out a sudden, jolting scream. 

"AAAH!! NOW, I HAD NO PLANS TO FIGHT YOU, BUT YOU ARE NOW ATTACKING ME, YOU RUTHLESS BRUTE!"

The demon had a long, stick-like body that could cling to taller trees easily.

"I have no words with you." Yoriichi swung the blood off his sword.

The demon gave a offended cry and charged at him.

Yoriichi's sword slid through its neck easily.

The demons body started to crumble back to the earth.

Silently, Yoriichi tucked his sword back at his waist.

The missions given to him have recently gotten a lot easier. Ubuyashiki must be giving him a chance to rest since encounters after encounters with Muzan.

He couldn't say he wasn't thankful for it, but he thought Ubuyashiki was going a little soft on him. After all, battles with stronger foes are worth more than endlessly repeating a single sword swing.

The box on Yoriichi's back shivered.

It was fine to take a rest, he thought. The demon has gone and there isn't any immediate danger.

He set the box down near a small pond full with tadpoles. A moment later, Nezuko came out, beaming.

"Nezuko," Yoriichi put a hand on her head. "Did you miss big brother?" 

Nezuko took the headpat happily and hummed. She took his hand into her own.

Yoriichi smiled tenderly and looked up to the stars.

"Let's lay down and stargaze. This one star shines just like you, Nezuko."

She laid down next to him, squeezing his hand.

Slowly, his eyes started to close.

Replacing the glowing stars was that of a fond dream...

The dark sky shifted into a heavily snowed mountain. He was burning charcoal for warmth.

They were having rice crackers for snack, his siblings' favorite.

"Tanjiro..."

It was a good pile. It would keep them excellently snug and cozy.

The sky was a brilliant blue. The sun shone in the middle of it like a beacon. As they say, the sun is always the warmest in the winter. It was definitely true, the light shined over him like a sense of strength.

Taking his basket of coal, he prepared to go back in the house.

"Tanjiro."

Hm? Who was that calling him... The sound didn't come from the house but... everywhere.

"TANJIRO!"

Yoriichi urgently sat up, out of his daze.

He felt a hand press his head down to the grass again gently.

"It's not that urgent, sleepyhead. Lay down."

Muichiro? 

As Yoriichi speculated, a wisp of black hair tipped with blue waved in the soft wind.

"What time is it?"

He laid down willingly and relaxed.

"Still night. But you're also sleeping outside. It's like a suicide attempt to sleep outside, you little insect."

Yoriichi looked around. Nezuko had crawled back into the box, which was closed now.

"Also, um, Tanjiro..." Muichiro fiddled with a strand of his hair.

"Go on?"

"I may have played with that sword of yours and broke it accidently and threw the pieces into the pond."

"What?"

"I may have!"

Yoriichi sat up by instinct.

"Why?"

"I thought I'd take a look at it if it needed to be repaired! (It didn't, but now I made it so.)"

"What did you say at the end of that sentence?"

"Nothing! But I was also planning to go to the swordsmith village to get swords made for me, so you can come along."

Yoriichi sighed. He was sure Muichiro wasn't this playful and energetic as before when he met him.

Oh well. The older will always help the younger in any way possible.

"The sun's coming up, Tanjiro. Dawn; a sign to get going."

Yoriichi stood up, dusting off his pants.

"Okay."