first stage

"You are special."

Yoriichi cocked his head to the side. He put a portion of confusion onto his face.

"You have adapted to the life of a demon slayer in a very short time. I am very confident you will be able to survive the Final Selection without fail."

Urokodaki hands Yoriichi a finely carved fox mask. A sun is painted on it.

Yoriichi softened his eyes. Bowing down slightly, he gives a tiny smile.

"Thank you, Urokodaki-san. It was a great time training under your assistance."

Oh, he was so flattering.

Clad in the light blue uniform of the water breathers, he saw Tanjiro wave and leave his hut.

Urokodaki was sure he could come back. He was sure he would come back. Please.

Don't let another child be lost.

Another bird attempts to leave the nest to see the wonderful blue sky.

Arriving at the wisteria-filled yard, Yoriichi does not notice that others there are making way for him to walk. He is mesmerized by the wisteria that blows this way and that.

Taking his own little corner in the Final Selection entrance, he watches the other demon slayers in training talk and walk and laugh. Maybe he should get some friends of his own.

Friends... he used to have a friend. Called Sumiyoshi. Yoriichi was sure he was born into Sumiyoshi's family. He would make his family proud.

Everyone else that he wasn't staring at were gazing at him. To them, he felt... unnaturally familiar and also unnaturally pretty. If being honest, he looked more like a model in popular districts rather than a well trained demon slayer.

Following after Yoriichi's flashback, two young girls step out from the middle of the wisteria blossoms.

"Everyone. We thank you for coming here tonight to the Demon Slayers Corps Final Selection."

"There are demons imprisoned here on Mt. Fujikasane, captured alive by the Demon Slayer swordsmen, and unable to leave."

"That is because wisteria, which demons hate so much, blooms year-round from the bottom to halfway up the mountain."

"However, there is no wisteria from this point on, and so demons abound."

"You need to survive here for seven days to pass the Final Selection."

"And now, be on your way."

Giving a deep bow, the girls leave the blossom filled trees.

The night had fallen and Yoriichi ran around looking for demons. Yoriichi quickly found the largest demon in the selection.

The demon stank of decaying human flesh and terrible viciousness.

He seemed to have a very thick neck and was covered by arms all the way down from the head to the toes.

Ew.

The demon noticed his sun-painted fox mask and came straight at Yoriichi.

"ANOTHER ONE OF UROKODAKI'S DISCIPLES--!!" He shrieked.

Yoriichi jumped up.

One slice to the neck and it was withering away.

He could hear the demons shock and despair even without it moving.

He is not sympathetic, unlike Tanjiro.

Maybe that's the biggest difference Tanjiro and Yoriichi have.

Yoriichi leaves the demon on the floor as more and more demons appear.

The sun had come up.

After 7 surprisingly fast days, he came back to the wisteria yard with 3 other demon slayers.

Only his and one girl's clothes were clean.

One yellow haired boy was shivering with fear.

The other black hair was showing anger issues. Tsk.

He could feel another presence amongst the billowing trees, but he assumed the presence held no harm.

Yoriichi allowed himself to zone out into the bright blue sky.

Muzan... No, let's think of a happier thought.

Why were people eyeing him using that expression? Shock, admiration, jealousy, all together. He also noticed their heartrate change...

Well, that's good. If they were fighting a demon, faster heartrate helps very much(true innocence).

He should find his own group in the demon slayer corps and help them become better, even though they use different breaths. Because masters of their own craft will always come to the same place.

Yoriichi snapped back to reality to find the anger issues person grabbing the hair of one of the young girls that lead them into Final Selection. The person shook her head and yelled into her face about some katana.

He steps forth.

"Hey."

He comes up next the the ruthless demon slayer.

"Hey. Let her go...?"

The demon slayer never heard such simple words come out with such a steady and tender voice. Also the little question mark at the end of the three worded sentence made his heart throb. Like he really should calm down and take his hand off of the girl's head.

Yoriichi sees his persuading works well as the demon slayer puts his hand back to his side.

At least they wouldn't need to fight.