Katakuri x OC

Ch.14

"Click, click, click."

"Crackle."

My ears caught the sounds of a fire formed from the clashing of rocks. Awakening from my deep slumber, I gently peered to my side. I was quickly blinded by a small fire's flames that lit the night sky. Moving my body was futile, I barely had the strength to slightly move my finger tips. Squinting, my eyes slowly moved upward to see Katakuri sitting by the fire, appearing more solemn than what I'd previously seen.

Glancing at my injured shoulder, I found my wound covered by cloth and held in place by a green paste. Though the air smelled of salt and smoke, the scent of the patch on my wound was calming as it reminded me of fresh grass covered in dew.

My scream from earlier overworked my vocal cords as my voice came out in a croak, "I am impressed, you have brought me back from the brink. Ironic considering I'm meant to be a Reaper of Death."

Katakuri shot a stare, his eyebrows strained on his forehead, "Your optimism is unwanted."

At such a statement, I'm too sluggish to care anymore. All that mattered was that I'm alive. A simple word of concern would have sufficed, but what am I expecting.

I sighed, "Optimism aside, I have to wonder why you rescued me? Did I finally fall in your good graces?" I believed Katakuri to follow the same principle as his other family members, to not care for those that you cannot use. He can't go near the water and I'm in no shape to swim back toward Komugi Island. I'm dead weight to him.

Katakuri's eyes looked toward the sand and he seemed reluctant to speak, "From the beginning, your behavior has warranted my suspicions of your motives for joining my family. Your actions have brought more trouble than they're worth."

I clenched my teeth in irritation, my enemy has the audacity to tell me his honest thoughts now that I'm a cripple. If I could turn back time, I would've left him to die.

Believing he was to belittle me further, I was surprised by what I heard next.

He slowly looked toward me, "However, I do not leave a debt unpaid. As small as you are, you shielded me from enemy attacks. You have my thanks."

Unbelievable, I bet he either touched the sea-stone stake when he was treating my wound, he's completely lost it due to unforeseen events, or I'm still blacked out.

I rush to shut my eyes and pretend I didn't hear him utter nonsense.

Katakuri spoke in frustration, "You should've blocked your ears first if you were going to pretend to not hear a word. Compared to you, my words do not reveal deception."

Of course his sincerity is a backhanded insult. My body prevented me from displaying any of my vexation and disbelief of our current predicament. While Katakuri is stubborn in showing gratitude, I'm thankful I don't have to regret my actions.

I opened my eyes and looked in Katakuri's direction, "Though you may not believe it, your words provide me a great comfort that I was doubtful I'd receive."

I spoke with what gusto my voice would allow, "Can I take it that your words imply you now see me as a loyal subordinate willing to risk my very life to ensure your safety, Katakuri-san?"

Katakuri's veins popped from his neck in annoyance by my tone, his gaze filled with fire as he stood up to stand over me, "Too much is uncertain. Iris the Reaper, heed my warning. If I sense you are a threat, I will not hesitate to kill you. Only a fool would believe trust is won by protecting an enemy."

The wall I climb continues to grow higher. My anger does not quell from its presence, it rises to meet the demand. His words cannot make me falter on an island I ensure will favor my survival.

I disguised my rage with guilt, "I'm sorry if my sacrifice has yet to prove myself to you. I don't doubt you can kill me, but my oath to Mama still stands. I may not appear to be helpful at the moment, but the skills I possess may make up for our current disadvantages."

Katakuri's appearance remained unchanged.

I hope he'll cooperate if I just push a little more, "If you want to return as quickly as possible, I suggest you work with me to get the stake out of my shoulder. You claim my actions brought more harm than good, let me at least show you I'm capable of aiding us to get out of here."

Katakuri glanced toward the palm trees which remained still, he was hesitant to respond, "Fine. We will do as you say. What must I do?"