End In Sight

A/N: You and Isa are 22, this takes place after the movie.

Hope you enjoy this book!

———————————————————

"Run away with me mi vida. Please, let's start a new life away from here." You whisper as a strong gust of wind passes, letting your hair fly as you look into your beloved's eyes. "We can't stay here any longer. Let's elope...we'll be happy."

Living here was a mere nightmare ever since refugees had escaped. There was never a time of peace and quiet, never time for enjoyment. Every man in each family only knew how to fight, every woman only to serve those above their own household.

"Run to where y/n? There is no escape from this village, no escape from our fathers. They would merely spend the rest of their lives hunting for our heads." Elena whispers harshly, trying to keep her voice down.

It was already risky enough that you were here at the dead of night, disobeying the curfew whilst guards and soldiers searched the area for any who dared disobey the laws established by Elena's father.

You were already lucky enough that both of you had come from prestigious families, never to be looked down upon. But that didn't mean you could escape the punishment waiting if you were ever to be caught.

Your father was a proud man, he would never let you live if he had learned you've tarnished the family name. Everyone hailed your familia as heroes who successfully overthrew this place.

But you couldn't feel anything except shame for driving people out of their homes, for the bloodshed and pain that your familia had caused.

You merely wanted a simple life, a life where you could marry the woman in front of you and just think about what you were going to cook for dinner. And the only solution to get that was to leave your current lives behind.

You grab her hands as you pull her closer, the last shred of hope shining in your eyes as you pleaded with her. "Elena you know about those who successfully escaped in the past. We-"

She shakes her head firmly as she looked at you. You could already see that she was too afraid, that she was willing to live the life her father had set out for her. And a part of you wanted to deny it, that she was gonna take your word to a happier life and escape with you. "I'm sorry I'm not as strong as you. We can't do this anymore. There's no future for us..."

Quiet forced laughter resounds as you retain your eyes on her. You didn't want to let her go, you'd rather have found it as some sick joke when she turns away from you in shame. You didn't regret a single minute spent with her, nor did you mind hiding your relationship if it meant you could be with her.

But you were to be married the next day, forcing you to make some kind of decision before it could become official. Despite having this conversation with her several times, not once had she even considered it.

Slowly letting go of her hands, you turn away and start running into the forest. Not daring to look back at her even as you heard her whisper, "Te amo." Letting her words fly along with the wind that blew by you.

Even if you stayed, you wouldn't be able to be with her anyway. There was no way out except leaving, and right now you wished you didn't have to stop yourself from screaming in pain.

You start hearing several footsteps behind you as you try to run as quietly as possible. There was never any mercy for those who attempted to escape, they would always ready their guns to shoot if needed. That's how it always was.

Every day new reports came up in the village about people trying to escape, most of them immediately slaughtered. But they didn't mind, most of them would always prefer to die trying than not at all, letting their spirits rot in that horrid place.