Part of Their World

With a smooth motion, Isabela takes your hand in hers and squeezes it gently just as you pass through the doors of La Casa Madrigal.

Abuela Alma was standing right at the center, awaiting your presence with an authoritative stance. Caution was still clear on her face and you wondered if you really had it in you to go against her original wishes.

Just seeing you had already conveyed to you how much pain it brought her to be reminded of that night. And you knew just how much that could affect someone.

With a deep breath, you squeeze Isabela's hand back before you pull away and start walking ahead, straight towards the woman of the house.

Kneeling down on one knee, you gently take one hand of hers in both of your own. With a shaky breath, you speak, lowering your head in shame. "I apologize, for everything my family has done to cause you so much pain. I know I cannot bring your husband back nor turn back time to stop them... with a truthful heart, I must confess that their very sins burden me every day."

You were seeking forgiveness once again for something you weren't guilty of. You were on your knees with your head bowed and your pride shattered, a common occurrence for being the only child, and a woman at that, with the family name you bare. "Had I a choice, I would not have been born into a family who only knew how to seek bloodshed. I am truly sorry, Abuela Alma."

You didn't know what was running through her head, nor what expression she was wearing on her face. It only terrified you more. "Raise your head." She speaks with a soft tone as if she could sense the fragility of this moment.

"Had it not been for mi familia, I would have still been living in the past." She whispers, patting your hands with her free one. "Seeing you here was like reliving it all over again. But just like always, they've opened my eyes. You were driven away from your old home as well, and just like us, you had no choice."

When you look up at her a gentle smile sits on her face. It had kindled something in your heart that you couldn't understand, and soon enough a tear slips down your eye. "Thank you, for giving me a chance." You whisper, your lips starting to tremble.

You couldn't help but still feel selfish like you didn't really give them a choice. One could even compare it to using the guilt-tripping card, and it wasn't an enjoyable feeling.

Abuela nods, letting your hands go and motioning for her grandkids to take care of you. "It's a wonder to me how they raised such a kind and respectful child. We'll continue this talk tomorrow. For now, you should get settled in. While your house gets built you'll be staying in the nursery room."

You nod in understanding, wondering how you would pay for the expenses and thinking about building it yourself to lessen the costs.

But before your mind could even start computing, Isabela's body crashes against yours, pulling you in an extremely tight hug while letting out a squeal in between giggles. "I'm so happy for you!"

You weren't even aware that every single Madrigal was present in the conversation, only acknowledging them now. The third generation of Madrigals all joins in the hug, Luisa lifting all of you up and twirling around playfully. Their parents simply watch with smiles on their faces, Abuela leaving with a similar expression on her face to tend to the people of the small village.

"Thank you Abuela, you won't regret your decision!" You shout before she could completely leave. Laughing along with them, tears of both joy and sadness escape your eyes.

When everyone starts to settle down, Luisa grabs your stuff once again. When you make your way up and through the hallway on the second floor, you find frames of everyone as children next to their own doors.