Where you Belong

You just found Isabela beautiful, that was all it was. It merely wasn't possible that you were infatuated with a woman you just met whilst being tormented by your current love. All of those years with Elena could hardly be replaced so easily, as much as you wished for it to be so.

"Come on, I'm sure our other family members would love to meet you." Mirabel says with a smile as she opens the door for everyone.

She knew Abuela would immediately start questioning when she would arrive, so she made sure you at least felt at home in La Casa Madrigal before you started answering personal questions.

She trusted her gut, and all it told her was that you could be trusted. That you weren't a bad person and simply tried to start anew, just like everyone who fled their old village in the past too. She found nothing wrong with that and hoped Abuela would think the same.

As everyone started making their way outside, Isabela lingered behind you to make sure you were perfectly fine. "Are you sure nothing hurts anymore?" She asks as she places her hand on the small of your back while she walks next to you.

You try not to overthink it as you avoid her gaze, already feeling yourself shrink under the intensity. "Of course, your family's gift is no joke."

You needed to calm down, to stop yourself from thinking something was there even if it was not. Isabela was just being nice, and like the rest of her family, she's caring.

You fled to lead a new life, it would be of no use if you messed things up immediately by starting to like another woman. You already knew how messy things ended up in your last village because of the recklessness of your heart, you didn't want to flee a second time.

Isabela simply smiled as she pulled away, reassured but still doubtful of your condition. She was convinced you were still exhausted and hoped Mirabel would've just let you rest for the time being. But she understood her sister's actions as well, unable to decide what the best course of action was for you.

When you get to the dinner table, there you find Camilo and Antonio seated, Julieta not anywhere to be found. She left in a hurry so you assumed that she probably had her hands full with her gift.

"Ah, there she is!" Camilo's eyes turn towards you as Antonio announces your arrival with the other Madrigal kids. He was so excited to be around you, making you smile and pet his head once more. You absolutely loved his curly hair and beautiful complexion, you wanted to spoil him so bad.

"Missed me so soon?" You ask as Antonio lets you get seated next to him, animals jumping off of the seat as you approach.

He nods, his eyes sparkling. His innocence was very much welcomed. You've never seen it much in your old village, mostly because all the kids grew up miserable.

Antonio gave you a breath of fresh air that reminded you that you were safe, that you didn't have to worry any longer. And you wished to have the same glimmer in your eyes as he looked at you excitedly.

"He couldn't stop talking about you to mamá and papá. They just went out minutes ago." Camilo says as he looks at you in amusement. His little brother wasn't really one to immediately be bewitched by a stranger, after all, Antonio was a shy kid. Camilo found you intriguing, to say the least.

He had also noticed how Isabela had her complete focus on you. It was no joke that you grabbed everyone's interest when you suddenly came into their lives unexpectedly. You had a certain air about you that seized everyone's attention, yet you didn't seem aware of it.

You let out a sigh as you cover your eyes with your hand when you look down. "I can't help that I'm absolutely irresistible." You fight back a smile as you notice Mirabel rolling her eyes while Dolores snorts at your statement with a smile, getting seated across from you.

Camilo places his hand on your shoulder and nods. "Sí, I understand the dilemma of being breathtakingly gorgeous. I too, suffer from it. Although let me reassure you that things do get better."

You grab his hand in both of yours as you look up at him with awe, holding back a laugh as he looks completely serious. "Thank you for your wise words."

"Stop." Luisa groans as she watches the two of you, already feeling the secondhand embarrassment punch her in the face. The two of you had no shame in your face as you spoke.

"Why, dear prima we were just speaking the truth." Camilo insists to continue, smiling widely at the annoyed and amused looks everyone in the room gave.

"Alright, I'm at my limit." You state before letting out a laugh while Camilo looks at you as if you've forsaken him. "I do not want to get on anyone's bad side when I've just arrived."

Isabela smiles as she watches your interactions with everyone. To see you act so naturally around them made her heart feel warm and fuzzy. "I'm sure that would never happen."

You turn to look at her with a smile, a single flower blooming at the top of her head at the exact moment. She definitely loved seeing your smile, it was beautiful and radiant, especially when it didn't hold any sadness behind it.

"I see you've already won the favor of our children." A tall woman in a yellow dress enters with a shorter man next to her, also wearing the shade of yellow.

Just from their color scheme, you could tell that they were the parents of Dolores, Camilo, and Antonio. It probably made them easier to identify in the village as well.

Another man enters after them, curly black hair sitting at the top of his head. His eyes shined with kindness as he looked towards you. "I can see why." He says with a smile as the three adults come closer.

You stand up and greet them. "It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm y/n. I apologize for intruding, but your children have treated me very well and welcomed me in your home despite being a complete stranger. Thank you for your kindness and hospitality."

Dolores studies you as you move, but still wearing a smile. "You're suddenly speaking so formally." She whispers with her usual light voice. She could hear your heart thump in nervousness, wondering what made you so anxious.

She could tell that you weren't an average person. Seeing the way you gracefully presented yourself reminded her of how Isabela acted quite recently ago. Something about you told her that you had a respectable family name in your old village, already sensing that Abuela may not be too happy to see you.

"Lighten up chica! You're welcome to stay for as long as you'd like." The woman says as she squeezes your shoulders gently, letting you relax your stiff form.

"She's right, y'know." The man wearing green says as he starts feeding rats that climb up his shoulder. "The name's Bruno, that's Pepa and her husband Félix."

"Tío Bruno, will you ever stop bringing your rats along with you everywhere?" Mirabel asks as she shakes her head, holding back a shiver as she watches them move along his body.

"Nope." He says with a smile, continually feeding them as he pleases. You look at him in amazement, seemingly not at all fazed by their presence.

A hand taps your shoulder, grabbing your attention and looking up to find Isabela next to you with a grin playing on her lips. "How have you been liking it here so far?"

You wear a similar smile. "For the first time in my life, it feels like I've found where I belong."

Before Isabela could utter another word, three people enter, revealing an older woman, Julieta, and most probably her husband.

The older woman's smile starts fading when her eyes meet yours, anger flashing almost instantly. "Who are you?"

———————————————————

A/N: I almost wrote y/n lmao 😭 that my friends, is what a lack of sleep does to one's brain.

Anywayyy, y'all must not forget Elena. She's an important part of the story;) It's also why I repeatedly mention her throughout the past few chapters hehe.

Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter <3

Please vote <3 it motivates me a lot!