Chapter 17 | Jace

The day had finally come! I was back with my team with just an hour and some change before I could be reunited with my first love. It all felt surreal when Coach called me into his office as well as Mateo. With his blessing I was given back my title as captain, Mateo taking the title as co-captain now. I felt high above the clouds on game day ready to kick some ass.

Opening my locker a smile crept on my face looking at my beloved gear. It almost brought tears to my eyes seeing the dark blue jersey with eleven stitched on the back in white bold. Nothing could bring me down from the high I was feeling. Not my father's unanswered texts and calls asking when my next game was. Not his threat to call my coach and ask when I would be allowed back on the ice. Not Paige sending me voicemails of how sorry she was. Not the moaning I heard coming from the showers. The puck bunnies that walked around trying to get a quickie in with anyone who was willing. Not even seeing Paige walk in the locker room with her friends. Not anything.

Today was going to be perfect because Jace Carter was back.

"I kid you not B. Her ass was so big, it made up for the gut she had. I couldn't even be mad that she's a big girl."

Hearing the annoying sound of Mateo's voice. I reminded myself to not jump to conclusions. That he couldn't possibly be talking about Sweets like that. No, of course not.

"She does look fine as hell man. You get her number?"

"I already have it." Mateo's laugh had me turning towards their conversation not caring if they saw me eavesdropping or not. "She needed to text me about the photoshoot before but I plan on asking her if she thought about what I said then ask her to hang out. You know, somewhere public so she doesn't think I'm just trying to fuck her."

"What's wrong bro? Your eye is twitching" I heard Reid say, stepping next to me. Turning away as anger crept up my neck I breathed through my nose remembering that Cruise wasn't shit and punching him in the face would only get me benched on my first day back . . . even if it would make me feel better. "Cruise or Bradley?"

"Cruise." Tyler said for me, sitting on the bench with an earbud in his ear. "It's always Cruise." He rolled his eyes, "No Siannah, I wasn't talking to you . . . We are talking."

"What am I missing here? I'm confused as hell." Reid looked from Tyler to me.

"Hey Jace." I hear wishing I didn't. Turning my head towards Paige she wore more clothing then I thought she would. Keeping it simple with a crop top Trenton hockey sweater she brushed her bangs aside as if she was nervous. "Hey Tyler. Reid."

"Looking good as always, Paige." Reid smiled as Tyler grunted out a hey.

"Jace, can we talk?"

"Actually," Reid held his finger up, "we're in the middle of something." He turned back to me. "Explain yourself."

"Cruisey Boy had his photoshoot with Savannah and he's pissy because she wouldn't let him tag along."

Paige crossed her arms with a huff. "Still stuck on the ginger I see."

"You can go away now." Reid dismissed her before turning to me. "The hell are you pissed for? I thought you had something going on with her."

Tyler snorted. "Yeah, right."

"Shut the fuck up Moore." I say pulling my shirt over my head before grabbing my jersey, "I don't give a shit about their photoshoot. My problem is when he talks about her like that."

"Then go beat him up Jace and once you're done take your ass home 'cause Coach isn't going to let you play after fighting with another teammate especially here. You don't want anyone to be with her yet you refuse to change your ways and give dating a chance. It's pathetic the way you walk around the house like someone pissed in your Cheerios."