Chapter 19 | Jace

Hearing a ringing in the distance I groaned, throwing my hand out feeling where my nightstand should be. Tapping something that didn't feel like my phone I smacked it aside when it hit the floor with a crack. "Fucking A." I sat up pushing hair out of my face. "I should just fucking cut it off."

Noticing the ringing stopped I reached over the edge of the bed grabbing my very first hockey trophy. It was tiny and just for participation because we were kids but it kept me motivated. Pulling out the nightstand drawer to toss it aside I paused at the obituary on top of other papers.

Setting the trophy aside I shifted on the bed letting my feet touch the cold floor. Taking out the obituary I rubbed my thumb gently over her face. "Hey Mom." My phone began blaring again from the nightstand. Answering the call without looking I croaked out a greeting, "Yeah?"

"How many times do I have to call you son?"

Dropping my head for a few seconds to really wake up and tolerate dad, I put mom's obituary in the drawer falling back on the bed. "Hey dad."

"Are you going to answer my question?"

"I was sleep." I groaned, throwing my arm over my eyes.

"Asleep? Jace, it's almost ten o'clock in the morning. You should already be up and on your morning run. What are you doing with your time?

"Trying to give my body a little break."

"A little break?" He gave a humorless laugh. "A BREAK? Are you kidding me? When did you ever see me taking a break? Is that how you think you'll make it to the league? You waste time sleeping around and following after that tutor girl. " I sat up at the mention of my girlfriend. "Is she even your tutor? I sure as hell hope -"

"Who told you about her?"

"The only person that gives a damn enough to answer my calls."

Fucking Paige

"I have other things to do then sit and listen to you criticize everything I'm doing."

"Because you're doing everything wrong!" He yelled into the phone. "I've wasted years on you -"

"Yeah, I know dad." Ending the call I tossed my phone on the bed pulling on some basketball shorts. It was too early for this shit. Things with my dad were always the same. What I did could always be better. Same shit different day. I was over it.

Calling two granola bars and some almond milk breakfast I took a shower then dressed for my morning run. Today was originally going to be my rest day so I could do some studying after lunch but now . . . now I was just up and too irritated to study. So running it is.

Preparing myself for a simple seven miles with a good stretch I took off in no specific direction. The scenery did it for me. Yes, it was cold but I loved the way the snow held against the branches. The sparkle of it from the sun and the best season to have Sweets snuggle up to me.

Coming to my halfway mark I couldn't wait any longer. I wanted to see my girl.

I tried to weigh the pros and cons of calling her this early. I didn't want to wake her if she was asleep but then again what if she was already awake?

Deciding to go the easy way and send a text, I asked if she wanted to come over for breakfast. I felt like cooking my girl some waffles.

{Sweet Girl}: Aww you're so sweet 😍Be over in an hour

Plenty of time for me to go home shower and change. I began running again, happy that my morning was taking a different turn.

Pushing it full force for the last fifteen minutes my body was aching when I walked through the door. Glancing at the couch I thought about face falling there but I had made plans and I wanted to be ready when she came over.