Chapter 44

He pokes me in the ribs, and I poke him back, giggling.

This continues as we walk back to the house.

I meet Percy in the kitchen as Dex pokes me one last time before he heads into the living room.

I silently give Percy a small, sad smile and fall into my brother's arms.

He wraps his arms around me, and I melt into his arms.

Again, like earlier, tears prick my eyes.

And, just like earlier, I force them back.

I silently pull back, and he smiles.

But his smile fades as he notices my hand.

Oops.

"Oh, uh, I burned myself with some water this morning." I say, sheepishly.

-------------

I make some minestrone soup with breadsticks for dinner, and I holler to get everyone to sit down at the dining table just as I pull the breadsticks out of the oven.

"Dinner!" I say, setting the giant bowl of soup and the basket of breadsticks in the middle of the table.

A chorus of oohs follow, and I giggle as I serve everyone some.

Everyone is smiling and laughing, and even Tam is smiling softly as he chats with Dex.

"I didn't know you could cook, Foster!" Keefe squeals, and I feel a blush crawling up my cheeks.

"Sophie!! This is soooooooo good!" Biana says, grinning.

"Yeah, you shoud cook for us more often!" That's Keefe.

"Are you telling her to work more?!"

"No, but I like the food!"

"So? Do you ever cook?"

"No, but I like Sophie's cooking!"

A grumble came from Tam where he was glaring at Keefe.

I giggle behing my hand. "Guys, it's fine. I like cooking, it's something to take my mind off stuff. Anyway,  stop arguing so you can actually eat!" 

-------

My phone vibrates in my pocket, and I pull it out.

Once I see the number, I excuse myself from the table.

I walk outside, and attend the call.

"Hello?"

"Ms. Moonlark, hello! This is Calla, and I'm calling to find a place for your next concert?"

"Oh, yeah! So, I'm actually going to Salt Lake City in the next couple days, do you think we could have a concert there in... 5 days?" I bite my lip, knowing that we would have to extend the trip... whatever.

"Sure, Ms. Moonlark! I'll get everything ready! Do you know what songs you'll be doing?" He voice rings out.

I bite my lip harder, racking my head.

Oh shoot.

I haven't written a song since my last concert...

"Is it okay if I tell you the names of the songs in a couple days?" I ask, knowing that my voice sounds desperate.

"Sure! Have a nice day, Miss, and I'll talk to Mr. Jackson!" 

I smile gratefully even though she can't see me. "Thank you!"