Chapter 2- Friends

"Lucas what do you want for dinner?" I shouted from the kitchen of our shared apartment. It was a spacious place, Lucas's rich parents promising to pay for it if he kept his grades up. Despite being an avid partier, he was one of the smartest people I knew.

"I have a date tonight," he said as he appeared from his room, "You would too if you'd call that guy, its been a week."

"I don't want to call him, I don't want a relationship or anything remotely close, you know that." I said as I closed the fridge.

"Well, don't worry about me for dinner, I won't be back till late." He said as he walked back into his room. I looked at the clock and realized I had a little under an hour to get ready and get to class. I looked at the forecast for the rest of the day, we didn't live on campus so I usually longboarded to and from class. I dug through my closet as I waited for the forecast to load. I slipped on my favorite mom jeans, a black and white stripped crop top, and a zip front hoodie that I left open in the front. I grabbed my backpack from my desk and walked towards the front door. The forecast had finally loaded and I saw rain later in the day, so I grabbed my umbrella. I slipped on my vans, grabbed my backpack and longboard.

"Bye Lucas! Have fun on your date, wear protection!" I shouted as I walked out of the door. I stepped down the front steps and hopped onto my longboard heading to campus. I had classes until about 3pm and then I grabbed my bag and board, to head back to the apartment. About halfway back I started to feel raindrops falling on my shoulders. I reached for the pocket of my bag to realize my umbrella wasn't there. It must have fallen out of my bag at some point during the day. I groaned as I picked up the pace, trying to get back to the apartment before the downpour ensued. I got to our building and hurried up the steps and the rain started falling faster. I dug in my bag, no keys. Fuck. I knocked on the door, no answer. Fuck. Right, Lucas had class and his date was picking him up from there. I groaned as it started to pour rain. I sunk to the steps, the rain soaking my shirt and hoodie as I tried to figure out what to do. I put my hood up, like that would salvage anything and put my head in my hands.

"Rose?" I heard, and I looked up to see Danny, his car pulled over in front of me with his window rolled down,

"Hi," I said as I pushed wet hair out of my face,

"Do you need help?" He asked as he looked at the building behind me

"I am locked out of my apartment, but I'm ok" I said as I shrugged my shoulders, "My roomate will be home at some point,"

"Why don't you come to my apartment until they get back?" He asked, still leaning over the console

"I don't even know you" I replied

"Of course you do, we played beer pong together," He said as he stepped out of the car and walked over, "I promise I'm not a crazy person, I just want to help. It's rainy and cold, you're going to get sick."

"Are you sure it's not a problem?" I asked as he helped me to my feet,

"Not at all, here come on." He opened the passenger door for me, before taking my backpack and board from my hands and putting them in the back seat. I got into the car and shut the door. My mother would kill me if she knew I was getting into a car with basically a stranger. I sat as close as I could to my door, but as I watched him get into his seat. His shirt was now soaked but he gave me that soft smile. My brain went back to the night of the party, the guy who had sat next to me, asked about my book, and only left my side to deal with his sick friend. I started to feel at ease as the car was shifted into drive and started to move.

"You're lucky my class got out late, otherwise I think you'd still be sitting out in the rain," He said as he pulled his wet hair into a bun

"I would have figured it out." I said as I looked out of the window,