Chapter 30-At What Cost

Josh's POV

"How was treatment this morning love?" I asked as Rose walked up to me. She had her second day of treatment a couple hours prior. Now Danny had brought her to band practice and I was going to take her home later and stay with her so Danny could work on some stuff since he'd been missing practice. We all understood it, and no one gave him shit for it, but he was an overachiever.

"Fine," She said softly, closing her eyes and leaning into me as I kissed her forehead.

"You don't sound fine, do you need anything?" I said as I tilted her head up to me,

"It just makes me tired, can I lay in your bed until we go home?"

"Of course you can Rosie. Please call me if you start feeling bad, my phone is on vibrate and I will feel it ok?" I told her before she slowly walked off into the house. I turned to Danny, "How is she doing?"

"So far she has just been tired, I think she's doing ok" He said with a small nod. She didn't look well at all, and I was just worried things would get worse, but I tried to stay optimistic. If things did get worse I'd handle it when it did. I made sure that my phone was on vibrate as we started playing. I'd still check it between every song just in case. Once practice was over I went to get Rose to take her home, she always preferred to be at her house, I think it was a comfort thing. When I woke her she looked a little more pale than normal but I decided I wouldn't bring it up. I'd just keep a close eye on her.

"Hey sleepy head," I said as I brushed some hair from her face, "Are you ready to go home?"

"Yeah, can we stop for ramen on the way? My throat is kind of hurting, the nurse today said its from the chemo. I just think something warm will help it feel better" She said, and I realized she did sound a little hoarse.

"Which place would you like to stop at? I know you like that little place downtown, but you also have wanted to try that new place" I asked as I helped her sit up,

"Ooh lets try the new place" She requested.

"As you wish, lets get going so we can beat the dinner rush" took her hand and we walked out to the car. She stopped briefly to tell Danny bye. He looked at me, giving me a look that said 'don't take your eyes off her' and I nodded. We got out to the car, and I got a small smile out of her as I helped her into the jeep. She stopped me before I closed the door, pulling me towards her and kissing me.

"I can tell you're worried about me." She said as I pulled away, "I feel like shit if I'm being honest but I'll let you know if it gets really bad"

"I'm sorry you feel bad baby," I said as I caressed her face, she just leaned into my hand, turning to kiss my palm,

"It's ok, I have you taking care of me and making me smile" She said with what little voice she had left. "Now come on I'm hungry". I nodded as I walked around to the drivers seat and started the car. I drove to the ramen place, luckily we had beat the dinner rush and were in and out pretty quickly. The whole time we had stood in line Rose was leaning against me, her arms wrapped around herself. When we got back out to the car she insisted on carrying the to-go bag on the drive home.

"Are you cold darling?" I asked as I adjusted the heater.

"Just a little, but these bowls are warm" she half smiled. I nodded, watching her out of my peripherals the whole way home. When we finally got there she walked directly to her room, "I want to eat in here, the chairs in there hurt my back." She climbed up onto the bed and handed me my bowl, immediately digging into hers. She took a bite and I laughed as her eyes rolled back dramatically, "Oh, this is our new ramen place for sure"