One of the Same

My goal, hopefully, is to be able to finish this story by the end of 2022, though I can't be sure of that. Now, let'z begin! 😊

A sudden knock at the door caught the attention of Varian. Hugo caught his discomfort and gently shifted off of the cot. He went to the door and was about to open it when he heard a few whispers.

" I'm telling you, Lance, that kid IS HIM! "

" Eugene, you know I trust you 110%, but this guy can't be- "

As soon as the door opened, Hugo grabbed the first person who walked through the door and flipped them onto their back. The other guy shrieked in fear at the sudden action. Hugo smirked at the older guy, whose face was kissing the ground, as he groaned in pain.

" How's it going, Rider? " Hugo smirked as Varian smacked his forehead, earning confusion from Yong and Nuru.

" I told you, Lance! " Eugene hissed.

" Hugo! "

" Come on, Goggles. You know I always wanted to do that to Rider. "

Varian sighed as he slowly got off of the cot, with the help of Nuru, and went over to Eugene. He held out a hand to the older man, who took it gratefully, and dusted himself off. He glared at the blond, who just crossed his arms with a smile of delight on his face.

Eugene placed both hands on Varian's shoulders as he stared at him straight into the eyes. " Varian, I know I only left you alone for 10 or so minutes, but how the he- " Eugene's gaze shifted to Nuru, who was shaking her head and covering Yong's ears. " -ck did you get mixed up with a guy like- like him?! "

Hugo rolled his eyes, paying no mind to the unconscious body on the floor, and snaked his arms around Varian's waist. The shorter boy blushed slightly as shoved his arms off of him, earning a look of confusion from Hugo.

" In my defense, Eugene, " Varian began. " He's a lot like you. "

" Yeah, the bad part of me! "

" You gave me another chance, remember? " Varian's voice became quiet and so did the rest of the room. They all knew what he meant by that, who didn't? People still held rumors of 'the crazed wizard' that lived in Old Corona and how he 'cursed the royal family in order to make them forgive him.' Varian couldn't help but shutter how the one day people threw rocks at him on his way home from work long ago.

Eugene rubbed his temple before letting out a sigh. " Look, Goggles, I-. . . " He was at a loss for words. Eugene learned to forgive Varian over time because he'd gotten to know him. But Mr. Hugo the Thief here? What he did know about him wasn't good. Course, Varian was in a similar situation- why must being an older brother/cousin be so difficult?!

A sudden explosion caught the attention of everyone, even waking up Lance from his unconscious state. Eugene glared at Lance, who was just starting to sit up, and began to yell at him. Something about pipes and welding and stuff.

Varian rolled his eyes before leaving the medical room, earning the strange gazes of his friends. Eugene and Lance, meanwhile, didn't notice the departure of their friends till they all left the room and they began running after them.

Hugo looked at the love of his life as if he was crazy. He knew Varian was stubborn, but literally running after an explosion after literally passing out that same day. ' What the hell, Goggles?! ' And damn could that boy run!

Wait. . . where the hell did his cute alchemist go?!

~

Mother of Demantis did Varian regret doing this now. Was his head still hurting like he'd been hit against a wall from one of his chemical explosions, yes it was and he instantly regretted doing what he was going to do.