Official Meeting

All I gotta say is that I kept on smiling while writing this chapter because I kept on thinking of Avatar: The Last Airbender, you'll see when you read. 😅

Now, Varian wasn't trying to not get any sleep the night before. It just kinda, maybe, sorta happened? Look in his defense, after what happened the day prior, he wasn't too excited to be alone with his- could he even call them dreams?- anymore.

What didn't help was how awkward it was last night with Hugo. He was glad the boy didn't push anything on him, it was something Varian admired about the man, and Hugo was someone Varian could trust his life with. And yet. . .

Varian shook his nerves off. Everything would go amazing today! His family and friends were going to meet the people he considered as a second family. Plus they were going to stay for a few days to visit. Everything would be fine!

If only that were true as the test tube in him cracked once more.

~

" So, Varian, are you going to introduce us to your friends? " The princess of Corona, and temporary queen, asked during breakfast.

Said boy shifted with unease. One wrong move and his life would return to chaos. One slip up and the mask he'd worn would break into a million pieces. A single mistake- and he would be in the dungeon once more.

" R-right, " he stuttered out slightly. He gripped the poorly bandaged hand he dressed this morning, though it was under a glove so that no one would notice. After last night, he didn't want to bother Hugo anymore, and took a deep breath. ' Here we go. '

" The smaller boy, " he pointed to Yong, " is Yong from the Fire Kingdom. " The Asian waved excitedly towards the princess, who returned the gesture, and her husband did the same but much more calmly, with a smile on his face. " The girl is Princess Nuru of the Air Kingdom, " he gestured to the dark-skinned girl. " Then the boy with the glasses is Hugo. "

" And where's Hugo from? "

Varian looked nervously towards his father who asked the question. Before he could reply, Mr. Smarty Mouth decided to first.

" I come from nowhere and from everywhere. " Hugo grinned as Nuru rolled her eyes.

" I don't quite- "

" He's probably a traveling salesman, " Eugene replied, setting down his glass and giving Hugo a slight glare. " So tell us, Hugo- how did you end up traveling with Goggles over here? "

Hugo opened his mouth to reply before a sharp pain hit his foot. He looked towards his right to see a glaring Varian staring right at him. Hugo immediately closed his mouth after that.

" He- uh, he's actually an alchemist like I am, Dad. Isn't that great? " Varian answered a little too quickly for his liking. He saw his father just nod before he went back to looking at his food.

" Varian, I- "

" Woops, look at the time! I promised them that I'd give them a tour of the town, isn't that right?! "

The three looked at Varian with worry but nodded anyway. The four stood up and pushed in their chairs. " Thank you for everything, Rapunzel, but we should get going. Bye! " Before anyone could say another word, Varian ushered the three out of the dining room.

~

So Varian realized he'd screwed up. . . very, very badly. At least it wasn't as bad as a few other. . . mishaps. . . that have happened before. Right?

Oh Mother of Demantis he was so wrong!

And now here he was, with his three closest friends he saw as family, all of them looking confused, or in Hugo's case, anger he believed to be so. The blond rubbed his hand against his temple as he let out a deep breath. A lasering glare reaching Varian's eyes.