The Beginning of His Enemies

Hello, my friends! This chapter is one of those times where I had to do research on a few things. Also, I'm sorry that Rapunzel, Yong, and Nuru aren't really playing a big part in this story, but I got a few tricks up my sleeve for you all!

Now Hugo wasn't going to criticize the intelligence of someone just because they were a woman. But a floating metal ball being gravitated into the air by the forces of two very strong magnets covered in a bunch of crystals wasn't exactly, how could he put this, wasn't very impressive. But apparently having said the so-called 'invention' is more impressive once you throw a lot of acceleration at said 'invention' it creates chaos.

So yeah. . . that happened. . . which is bad. And that's why smoke and a vortex was in the sky, obviously.

But Hugo wasn't going to keep on being sarcastic about the whole situation coincidentally happening when he and Varian and probably at one of their lowest on a mental level and such. Okay, he really wanted to throw Aqua Regia at all of these. . . these things that keep on disturbing the two of them, but they had bigger problems right now.

" Don't worry everyone! " A woman's voice called out, no doubt the one who caused this. " This is all just a part of the show. "

" Didn't your invention cause somethin' like that at the expo a few years back? "

" That was the brat's fault! " She quickly regained her composure before speaking once more. " Besides, I, the Great Fernanda Pizazzo, shall show you the beauties of this catastrophic masterpiece. "

Hugo could feel Varian's grip tighten around his hand. He didn't exactly know why, but his attention was grabbed by the smokey vortex in the sky, which began to lift barrels, food, and more into the air. He could see Eugene trying to evacuate people away from the square, though this so-called inventor was throwing a hissy fit about the people ignoring her.

So, Varian's feelings would have to wait for a little while longer.

" Got any idea on how to stop that thing? " Varian nodded and pointed to a rooftop close to the vortex. Hugo grinned a bit. " Didn't know you wanted to do some parkour, Goggles. "

And so, the two began to make their way to the side of a bakery and scaled the wall. And even though the harsh winds were making its best attempts to knock them both down, Hugo couldn't help but let his mind wander.

Despite Varian knowing that he could tell Hugo anything, anything at all, he never always did. Sometimes, the blond would wonder what went on in the younger boy's mind. He wanted to comfort Varian during the painful times he endured, even if he already knew some of it from when he told the group.

But he couldn't help and comfort him if Varian didn't tell the whole story, with every inch of detail. And he knew Varian could be very detailed with stories of his experiments he'd told him of long ago. Sure, the ravenette told him, Yong, and Nuru what happened, and he believed it all. Yet there were things Varian never told them, and this woman was one of those things.

However, Hugo could only huff at the frustration he felt towards Varian. Despite him wanting to know more about the boy, he couldn't push Varian. That's what happened with the Saporians. Varian didn't go into great detail about it, but the other three knew the gist of it.

And the three promised to never let Varian be treated like that again.

By the time Hugo made it to the top, Varian was already tying a rope to his waist. Hugo looked at Varian with confusion as the younger alchemist put the rope into his hands. And before he knew it, Hugo was flying his boyfriend in the air like a kite. Mother of Demanitus, HE WAS FLYING HIS BOYFRIEND LIKE A KITE!

He saw how Varian's mood shifted a bit. The boy looked to be on a state of calmness for once, which was a rare sight for anyone to see. Yet it was. . . unnatural in a way. The blond had seen his boyfriend be calm before, of course, though it usually took a long time for Varian to be in a calm-like state. But not like this. . . Never like this. . .

Once reaching the 'invention', the ravenette grabbed a chemical solution from his pants before pouring the liquid. He then pulled out a little tube and pressed something on it emitting a bright flame that even Hugo could see from where he stood.

The vortex in the sky suddenly began to shrink in size. It started closing its opening as Varian pulled on the rope. Hugo nearly forgot about the ravenette at that moment.

Once Varian came down, Hugo knew something was wrong. The other alchemist's eyes were dimmer than before; his hands stiffening around the rope on his waist as he let out a deep breath. Baby blue eyes lingered at his hands--at the way Hugo still held onto the rope--before the other let out a heavy breath.

By the time Hugo came back to reality, Varian was untied from the ropes and had already made his way over to Eugene and Rapunzel, whispering to them so quietly that even Hugo couldn't hear them. Him! Hugo--the master of sneakiness, might I add--could not hear a conversation! Unbelievable!

Out of the corner of his eye did he see Varian walking back to the castle. Was he not even going to tell them all "bye" or of where he would be?

Hugo chased after the boy, unknowing to him of the sad looks the two brunettes were giving him. The town was a nightmare to walk through, much less to run through. He was surprised that the townsfolk were suddenly back to how they were before the 'invention' thing happened.

By the time he made it out of the crowds of people did he notice Varian wasn't in front of him. Hugo turned around and saw no one. No one. . . no one at all. All he saw was a shell of Varian, of the nerdy and clumsy and adorable and dorky alchemist he fell for long ago. But he did not see that. The boy behind him was not someone he recognized.

The boy behind him was not Varian.

Again, I'm sorry if this chapter wasn't up to par with my ones prior to this. I kinda got a bit stuck and got distracted writing my other fanfictions. Also, I wanna thank you all for getting this story to 1K reads, it really means a lot to me. If you go to my 'Art, Reviews, Top 10s, and More!' book, there should be a chapter that has my Varian art I've drawn.

Have a wonderific day/night to you all! 😊

~ Brooklyn