Revealing the Truth

You have no idea how long I've been wanting to write this chapter! And oh boy is this chapter going to change the way the rest of the story plays out! 😊

Also, because no one has still responded to my question, but do you all like it when I put songs in this story? Please let me know!

With the help of Ride- Eugene, he and Hugo began a rapid search for the younger alchemist. The blond stumbled his first few steps, but his balance soon returned as he made a mad dash around the marketplace.

The streets were busy this time around, which didn't help the search. People were shoving trying to get the last of bakery goods as attempted bargains turned into yelling wars.

And this all didn't seem to help Hugo with his worriness, nor his ever-growing headache.

Hugo didn't know what had happened when he was being held against the alleyway wall. But he didn't care at the moment. All his mind playing was the broken, sorrow-filled voice Varian had in his apology to him. The way his voice cracked was what would seemingly happen when he was about to cry.

He searched harder after that memory.

He and Eugene continued the search until they heard it. A strangled cry coming from behind the shoe repair shop.

Hugo could feel his heart racing against time, his mind and vision blurring as he ran. Eugene tried to follow closely behind him, but Hugo had lost him. The blond was quicker.

And as soon as he was behind the shop his heart stopped.

Varian was being held up against the wall by the collar of his shirt, which was already torn in a spot or two. Crimson liquid was dripping down his forehead, sticking to his skin that grew paler by the minute.

His eyes were still open, yet they seemed hollowed out by fear. A few crystal tears were present as they slid down his face in a rather quick manner.

One knife was pressed against his throat. Tiny streams of blood trickling out as the knife was pressed against him more. The other knife was in the hand of a woman.

" Aw, come on, Dearie. " The woman's voice was sickly sweet as she twirled the knife and threw it. Varian squeaked as the sharp objects embedded itself into the wall just above his head. " What's the matter, Magic Freak? I thought you wanted to show the world your magic? "

Hugo could see the look of annoyance on the younger alchemist's face. Just why the heck did people think alchemy was magic? People thought that magic was fake and a myth long ago. So why did they think alchemy was a myth if magic was present nowadays? Science and magic are two different spectrums people!

" Yeah, come on, Dearie, " the man said with a mocking tone, " you're already a betrayer to Corona. So why should it matter if you hurt more people like- "

" Leave him alone! "

Hugo's face was red with fury as the people looked towards him. An unsettling smirk formed on the man's face before he nodded towards the woman, who seemed to have gotten the same idea the man did. And all Hugo could do was to try to maintain his anger and not walk up and punch the smirk off his face.

" Oh, so you got a friend now, eh? " The man's gaze returned to Varian's own, which was filled with panic once more. " Does he know about your crimes too, Magic Freak? "

Hugo could sense the stupidity radiating off of the two. It was quite obvious really. But that stupidity couldn't stop him from seething with rage.

So he would just have to be the sarcastic alchemist he was. Simple. Easy. Smart-Mode Hugo was almost effortless- and mother of Demanitus, was he gonna screw up-