Chapter thirteen.

As it was told by Balberith, she recounted the young soldier's demise as a deep web snuff film subject, about to be "retired" when she was given the box. "A bloody farewell."

She stated matter of factly, a small smirk on her lips as she sipped her tea. "That is when you came to us, just when the Hell Priest's emotional wound was fresh enough for your presence to pry into, inserting itself into him forever."

"And what caused it?"

Bella finally asked, staring down into the hot, dark red liquid that reflected her gaze back. Balberith adjusted her round glasses before replying. "Ah, that is complicated, but he had both gained and lost a girl he was protecting from himself, but alas she is gone and in her place within his heart, you filled it like sand."

"I think I understand, but does this have to do with him banning me from ever reaching out to my aunt?"

The old Cenobite frowned, before sighing softly. She felt pity towards Bella, who was just a girl in her eyes. "Everything, my dear. If you discover the truth, you will leave him and hell- but it is a choice he won't take willingly."

Commander held her head as she sighed heavily, her hooks gleaming in the mass candle light. So this was why the Hell Priest was punishing her, relentlessly claiming his bounty on her aunt, and keeping them both in a never ending cycle.

As she mulled it over, Balberith suddenly slid a small red book across the table. "This may be of use to you, if you know how to use it."

Everything came with a price in Bella's world, but she took it into her hands and murmured a thank you.

"I call it....a biography of sorts."