6| In The Last 24 Hours

Saturday, September 8, 1997
8:30 am

"Where have you been, bitch? It's been two days since we've talked," Angela playfully shouted. "You are so overdramatic; we talked 25 hours ago," I giggled. "Well, I'm 24 hours off, but still, you're supposed to call us after class," she mumbled. "I would've, but a lot of shit has happened since we went our separate ways yesterday, trust me."

"Well, what the hell was so important that you couldn't call?"

"One of my classmates dropped a business for a sex instructor," I began. "Ok, what does that have to do with anything, girl, sex lessons" she smiled. While Angela rambled, I stripped my bed of the bedding and loaded it into the washer machine. I was so tired that night; I didn't care about my dirty pillowcase.

The house phone started ringing. "Hold on, Angela, someone is calling my house phone," I informed her. "Hello?" I answered. "So, no call yesterday, huh?" The second party noted. "Don't start, Avery, alright? I already have Angela on the other line getting on my nerves," I laughed. They did this every time.

"Oh, Angela is up? Dial her in," I sighed. "Ok, hold on," I told him. "Angela, Avery is on the other line; I'm about to dial you in. I hit the flash button on the phone, dialed Angela's number, and hit flash again. "Can you guys hear me? Angela, are you connected?" I asked.

"She has a sex instructor, Avery," she told him. "So, we could have died, and you were getting sex lessons," he says. "I do not have a sex instructor, well, kinda," I corrected. "So, are you gonna tell us what happened?" He asked.

I looked up at the time and clicked my teeth. "I'm sorry, I can't, it's already 9, and I have to be at work before they open," I ranted. "Janet is abandoning us again, Avery," she joked. "Can we meet you today? Avery asked. "Probably not because I get off at 4 pm, so I'll probably be meeting him later. I'll meet with you guys tomorrow, but I gotta go bye," and hung up.

I straightened up my room a little and laid my work clothes out on my bed. I showered, did my skincare routine, and put my robe around my body. I did my natural everyday makeup routine. While applying my blush, I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," I directed. My godparents come through my door at the same time. "Look at Ms. Busy girl; she hasn't talked to us in over 24 hours," My godmother smirked. "Yea, and I haven't seen her in days," My godfather added. "Hello, you two, and first of all, sir, you haven't been here for me to see you," I looked up at him.

"I know, but I'm taking you two out for lunch sometime next week. I need to know how your life has been going, Ms. Lady," he hugged me from behind my chair. "Ok, you two get out. I have to finish getting ready for work," I scolded. "Ok, baby, we'll be downstairs."

I changed into my outfit and cleaned my desk.