22| The Knowing/ The Unknown

December 10, 1997

Some of the most stressful times for college students are exams. Especially final exams. My last final exam for the semester was for journalism. I chose to leave that for last because it was the easiest. And I had extra time to do it because I was Miranda's assistant.

Miranda sat in front of me while I finished up the last few questions. I laid back as I filled in the last bubble for multiple choices. She looked up at me and gestured for me to come up to her desk. "Was it hard?" She asked as she grabbed my packet. "No, General stuff."

"Good. That means you'll know the rules and concepts of journalism from the back of your hand." I nodded and went back to pack up my bag. "Did you grade all of the papers from the last lecture?" I scrambled through my bag to answer her questions. "I did, but the papers are in my car. I'll go fetch them for you."

A few students were coming out of different rooms when I dashed down the hallway. I smiled and nodded at familiar faces until I made it out of the glass doors.

I felt eyes on me when I closed my passenger door. I cuffed the pile to my chest and continued to walk to the building. My hand almost touched the door until someone tapped my shoulder.

I circle to a woman smiling at me. She was beautiful but looked sketchy. Her smile seemed like it had a motive behind it. She was taller than me, model-like. "Hello, are you Janet Jackson?"

"Yes, and you are?" I stepped to the side of the door. "I'm Denise, I'm a big fan of your work that you've been doing," she smiled down at me with her pearly whites. "Thank you. Do you attend Georgetown?" I crossed my legs. "I take a few classes here. What's that foundation you're wearing?"

"MAC mixed with Maybelline," I touched my face gently. "It looks great on you. You have such nice skin," she touched one of my curls. "Thank you. I love that berry color you." I did like it. It fit her well. "Oh, you're the girl I bumped into at my Halloween party," I snapped my fingers. "Yea, that's me."

Before I could get another word in, she took a step closer to me. "Are you single, Janet?" I was wondering the purpose of her sudden question. "Yes, I am. I'm focusing on myself right now." She tucked her lip into a grin. "Can I give you some advice?" I nodded.

"Always go for the older men. They're usually the most damaged. That alone makes them easier to get. They're like sad puppies. When you pat your lap, they always come." I bit my lip and gasped a little. "So, you hunt them down like prey?"

She amusingly rolled her eyes. "Check this, I've been dating this man for the past few months. He's older and married. He doesn't talk about his marriage, but the poor man is unhappy. Since he's vulnerable, all I need to do is go on dates and give up the cookie, and I get whatever I want."

No woman had ever been that straightforward to me about using a man. "Oh, I've never heard of that specific way. So, are you two in a relationship or just casual?" I decided to dig a little bit deeper since she already told me. "Oh, a mixture of both. I get relationship perks while he goes back home to his wife."

"What about his wife?" I waved my hand in acknowledgment. "What about her? She's isn't getting the job done, so I had to step in," she shrugged her statement off. I cringed at her words. "Why not help him instead of using him?"

"Oh honey, you're still young. You'll learn that men aren't anything but tools to use and put back in the box until we need them again," she patted my shoulder in laughter. I was one of the biggest jokers, but there was no joke. "You'll know what I'm talking about in due time. I'm sure of it."