26| Strange Host

December 31, 1997

New Year was a time I usually enjoyed. Life passed by, leaving the bad things behind and taking the positive things with me into what felt like a millennium.

But this New Year felt different, as everything in that year felt the same. I still didn't know what it was. The unknown made me tick, even though it was unknown. But that was for me to find out in due time.

I was home alone. My godmother's parents went ahead of me to the party. I don't know if that was a good idea, but I liked to take my time getting ready. I loathed my skin in moisture, and my hair was full of volume. But my mind was elsewhere, though.

A reminder kept poking at me: life was flying by. In high school, time was at a standstill. Creativity made time pass while I was in college up to this point. I didn't know what was driving me at this point. Or at least I knew the driver didn't want to go on the trip.

Something else I couldn't shake off. Where was Amber that night? But back to the story. It was 8 pm and time to face my demon of the night.

Party Under The Stars, Janet.

My trench coat blew in the ice-cold wind. The door opened before I could bring my hands out of my pockets. George opens the door.

George and Whitney decided to host that year's New Year's party. He was always my favorite out of all of them. He was practical, but I could still dream.

But above all, George's face lit up when he saw me. "I still will never get over how grown up you are, Janet." She smiled up at him. "I swear I'm still me." He points at her and says, "You better be."

He takes her coat and gestures to her further into the house. Her face twists when she sees Prince talking to Amber. She decides to ask George about their relationship.

"Uncle George, how do you know Prince?" He slows down his walking. "Well, he and Miranda went to Georgetown with us simultaneously. Over the years, we've done business together and stayed in contact."

"Mhm, alright. Why is Prince everywhere all of a sudden?" He shrugs. "Well, we run in the same circles, and he doesn't have good relationships with his family.

How has he been to you?" She tries to hide her smile. "We've had a few talks since Thanksgiving." She has to keep her calm. "Well, you spent Christmas with him, right?"

"Yea, it wasn't my choice." He nods. "Well, do you like him?" She looks off in a smirking way. "He's alright, and he's a wise man." George shakes his head as they make eye contact again. "Men like him hurt the most, Janet." And he walks off to attend to his other guest. Who said I was painless?

Amber caught me and called me over. "Hi, baby. Finally, you made it." We hugged, and she stepped back to look at my dress. "Ou, look at that body, girl. I know men are all over you." The whim of Prince eating me alive with his eyes. "I do my thang. Hello, Prince?" She waves. "Hello, Janet. You look lovely tonight."

And it was vice versa. That was the first time we saw or talked to each other since Christmas. I was still quite disoriented about what to do with him. What he wanted to be was still in the air with me. I had denied feelings, sure. A relationship was the last thing on my mind. Why wouldn't it be for him?