20| Denial In The Chanel Bag

November 15, 1997

"Hello, here's your order. Would you guys like anything else?" I smiled warmly. As I situated the dishes on the table, the couple in front of me admired their meals. "No, thank you. You have done enough already," the lady reassured.

I scanned the room and went to check other tables. That day was stressful, and it was Friday on the night shift. Some of the busiest days of the week. When I passed their table again, they were gone. I stepped closer and saw $200.

I loved this job.

As I finished cleaning up their table, Britney was escorting another couple. I went to the back to give the dirty dishes to the washer. "Here you go," I placed the bin beside him. "You workin' tonight, Janet. The

Gotta be the twentieth pan you've given me," he laughed. "Always." I walked out and bumped into Britney. "J, can you take my table? I'm at the other section," she squeezed my shoulders. "Yeah, I got you since your birthday is coming," I smiled.

The hours went by, and the seat filled and emptied themselves. It was 11 pm, and I went around the restaurant to get extra dishes and trash. Another girl came behind and whipped the tables down.

The cook threw today's food out and took new food out for the morning shift. Once I was done cleaning, I went to the back and counted my tip-dollar bills of all values spread between my thumbs.

"Someone had a good night," Britney opened her locker and took her blazer off. "Yup, $800. How did you do?" I folded the money and placed it into my wallet. "$850. Best night in a while. And you know what this means?" She spun around to me.

I shook my head and opened my locker. "What?" She wiggled her eyebrows and rolled her shoulders. "It's the holidays, and we're going shopping soon." I didn't need any more clothes, but you can never have too much.

"Chanel has some new stuff in for fall," I indulged. "And Michael Kors. I think they're releasing their winter collection soon, too, like early December," I nodded in approval. "We have to hit that up."

A knock on the door stopped our talking. "Do you guys want some breakfast?" The cook asked. "Yea, can we have waffles and bacon?" He stepped out. "He is so fine."

"Go for it then. The attraction isn't one-sided. Offering us breakfast and shit," I laughed. Britney pushed me playfully and reached over to me to put her name tag in the pan. "So, we are going out tomorrow. Don't forget."

I folded my blazer and tucked it into my bag. "I won't." We stepped into the kitchen and grabbed our to-go boxes, and went our separate ways.

When I got home, I took a long shower and heated my food. Technically, it was breakfast time. When I peeked at the clock, it was 2 am. I jumped on the couch and turned on the TV. I flicked through the channels until Martin came on.

It was the week episode, and I missed the last two weeks. I finished my food in the first 3 minutes. I watched the rest and went upstairs with teary eyes.

I brushed my teeth and washed my face. My scarf was wrapped tightly around my head, with my hair in a puff. I turned the air down to 69° degrees and snuggled into my bed

November 16, 1997, ○ 7:00 PM

Finding a parking spot downtown was hell. I parked a few blocks from the restaurant. It was pitch black outside. That is the only thing I hated about this season. It wasn't chilly outside yet, but it was a breeze.