29| Haunted Boy

May 10, 1973 - Georgetown University

We were at the end: Miranda and me. We came in pushing all reality away and went out drowning in it. We spent our last night on campus in her dorm room. Graduation was the next day. We spent the night reflecting on the previous four years of our lives.

As the hours went on, we drank wine like its juice. "Are you in love, Miranda?" I laid my head on her lap. "No. You know the biggest lie
is that you'll find your soulmate in college." We both laughed. "I've fucked so many girls. My soulmate is probably looking over me in disgust."

"But I'll find my person. I deserve love, and I'll get someone the same love they gave me." Miranda whispered in an empowered voice. "Yeah, I can't love like that. If I thought like that, I would have five divorces under my belt by age 40."

Miranda laughed at my prediction. "Maybe you're meant to become one with another after all of the madness." I turned, so I was face to face with Miranda. "What the hell are you talking about?" She ran her fingers through my afro.

"I'm saying no matter how many failures you have, in the end, you'll meet a woman who will have you wrapped up so tight you won't be able to breathe. But you'll prefer to be there."

The thought haunted me.

_The night before their graduation. The night before, the world would have the highest expectations of them. They chose to spend their late night in their dorms with each other. With no party, there is always a drink._

February 14, 1998, • 6 PM

I heard my tires make a screeching noise as I parked my car. At the restaurant, Miranda told me to meet the woman. My stomach tangled into knots, watching people's hands intertwine while swinging side to side on the streets. I wasn't expecting anything out of that night. Decent conversation and a good fuck at most.

The restaurant is upscale. Nothing I hadn't become accustomed to after all those years. I rushed out of the car to avoid addressing his thoughts and drove off. A petite woman stood around the front. It seemed like she was waiting for someone. I discreetly walked over and tapped her shoulder.

"Hello, sorry to bother you. Are you Jacqueline?

The women turned around

The women turned around. She was a few inches off of me. A newspaper was in between her slim fingers. Her makeup was outdated, but I could tell she had beauty under it. Miranda hyped her too much, though. Manipulation at its finest.

"Hello, yes I am. You're Prince, right?" She pointed slightly at me. "Yes, that's me. Nice to meet you." I motioned towards the door to the restaurant, and that's when the night started.