28| Haunted Girl

January 16, 1998

“So, you wouldn't say I love you to a guy first?”

Yea, that's where we were. “No, I might not mean it, or the dude might not feel the same. I'm not taking that embarrassment,” Amanda scoffed. “Cheers to that, sister!” Avery held up his wine glass. We were all drunk.

“I mean, I feel the same. I have a feeling for a guy at the moment. I'm taking that shit to the grave,” they slurred. I palmed my face because I was tired. Not because I just admitted that out loud. “But I'm going to hit the sheets. The house is yours as always.”

I sucked the last wine out of my cup and flopped on my bed. When my friends thought I was sleeping, they went wild. Avery screams to his cover quietly. Angela and Britney lean on Avery to conceal their hollering.

Amanda shakes her head and swishes white wine in her mouth. "She's in love," Angela whispered. "I don't fucking believe it. I need to see the man." Avery shook his head. "You guys are so late." Amanda feathered her eyelashes to stay awake. Everyone turned to Amanda.

"She muttered a name," Avery paused, "something that starts with P." Britney snapped her finger. "She did!" They all look up at the ceiling. The name was on the tip of their tongue. Amanda was tired of watching them struggle. "Besties, Prince."

"Yeh, yeh. That's it," Avery agreed, not catching on yet. "Maybe it's the wine," Angela looked through her wine glass. "But that name sounds familiar." Britney and Avery nodded rapidly. "You all are killing me here," Amanda palmed her face.

Angela leaned against Amanda's chest. "Girl, just tell us." All eyes are on her. "Prince, people. What Prince have we been around since Thanksgiving?" The three friends had different reactions. Britney's mouth formed an "O." Angela sat up and stomped. Avery just laughed.

"That's my bitch! I told her to hop on that. You all can thank me. If you know, you know," Angela swatted her friends. "Girl, shut the fuck up. That wasn't you," Amanda scoffed. "Now that I think about it. They have been fuckin'. Mentor my ass." Avery paraphrased from the new year party.

"She told us we wouldn't meet him. Meanwhile, he's right in our faces." -Angela

"Shit, fine, time to tell me. I was going to shoot my shot."-Britney

"But whoa, Prince is like 46. What's he going to do when she goes to New York for her internship?"-Avery

"They could be cute. But it's just fucked. I mean, not to be a negative Nancy. Only if they would've met some years from now."-Amanda

The thoughts haunted me.

February 14th, 1998

The echo of the doorbell rang throughout my house. It was 7:00 pm. He was on time. I ran downstairs and checked myself out before opening the door. A big bouquet hid my date of the evening. I cuffed them gently with both hands

They smelt like sugar on water. When I looked up, there Rene was. My ex. “Hi.” We spoke at the same time. I grabbed my coat and purse. “So, where are we going, stranger?” I walked past him and down my porch.

"Damn, I've been gone for the right time." Rene wrapped his arms around me to get a hug. I rolled my eyes. I returned the gesture while I looked around the street for his car. “It's over there.”

Lyrics from songs were the only words in the car. It wasn't awkward like I thought it would be. As we went on, I realized where we were going. I stayed silent, though.

He pulled up and killed the engine. He turned to me with a smirk. He ushered me out of the car. I shivered under her coat. “He couldn't be dumb enough to plan this outside,” I mumbled. We walked along a bridge and into the lighthouse.

A decorated table stood in the middle of the circular room. "I know this a lot for a friendly dinner, but why not, huh?" Rene tapped around nervously. He stepped over me to pull out my chair. His fingertips touched my skin as he slid my coat down. "Thank you, it's beautiful, Rene."

He smiled down at me and took his seat. There was silverware on the table. Like the ones from the movies. "So, how's Ms. Janet doing these days?" I smiled down. "You know, I'm still at Georgetown. I'm in my last year. You know the same things we told each other." He rubbed his hands together.

"You still going for the journalism thing." He was never fond of my career choice. "Yes, I am, Rene. What are you doing these days?"  I switched. "Um, you know, still doing gigs. I have a meeting next week with some investors for my food truck." He was a loose dreamer, but aren't we all?

"That's good." That was the conversation for a while until it circled back to what I was waiting to hear. "So, have you been since we left off?" I smirked. "Yes, I have. You?" He shrugged. "Yea, but nothing serious." It was always nothing serious with him.

I looked around again. The white cloth that covered the table reminded me of the white sheet Rene took my virginity on right there in the lighthouse. This lighthouse was our spot; no one. We talked here. We fucked here. We argued here. We loved what we could've been here.

"Ready to call it?"

He opened my door to let me out. Once we walked up the steps, we were face to face. The same thing we did after every date. Prom night to our last. Most times, the night ended with a kiss but not all nights. Our last night ended with drinks, pills simmering, and cuts. Internal and external.

I slid my key into the door and glanced back at my ex. "Thank you. I had a good time." I wasn't lying. "You are welcome. Have a nice night, dunk." He kissed my cheek and went on. He never did that.

He would be back.

When I got in the house, I slumped against the door, only a little thought. I stared at the phone hanging beside the clock.

Hoping it would ring.

♠️