30| Somebody's Somebody

The clock strikes at 10 pm. I climbed out of the car when the familiar cool breeze hit my legs. Some may say I was a lost puppy by how fast I came, but I would agree. Being so young, Valentine's Day wasn't a big deal to me until Prince, of course. It still wasn't a big thing; it had more relevance. I'll keep it there; it sounds better.

The hotel was excellent. I grimaced at the sloppy white women who drooled over men through the lobby. That couldn't be the preference. The woman at the front desk glanced at me through teary eyes. I approached and said, "Hi, sorry to bother you. Can I get the keys to room 77?"

I saw something change in the receptionist's eyes. After she grabbed the keys, she tapped the counter. "Before you go, someone left this for you. 7th floor, by the way. " She smiled. "Enjoy your night."

It was an envelope. I opened it swiftly as the elevator doors opened.

"You were on his mind all night. Hold him tight.

Enjoy your night, Special Girl."

Ding.

I hid my smile behind the piece of paper.

Next, I knocked on suite 77.

I leaned on the doorway with my hand slanged on my hip. I heard things moving behind the door. The man always put in the effort. My breathing hitched a little as the doorknob clicked. I just stared at it while it opened. Then I saw him; my eyes went up quickly. It's not awkward at all.

Prince stared at me in a daze. He widens the door, waiting for my entrance. I unhooked my leg and stepped inside. He tucked at my coat. I shrugged it off of my shoulder. He caught it with one hand and hung it. Smooth, man, I tell you.

Prince ~ Earlier

I rolled onto the floor from the bed. I smiled like a foolish child. "I need to set up." I thought to myself. The phone was hanging off of the hook. I picked it up and dialed a number.

"Hello."

"Hello."

"Ayo, Pat. I need a favor. Can you deliver some roses and a big bouquet to me?"

"Boy, do you know what time and day it is?"

"I know, but I'm special. You know that."

"The girl must be special. You've never called on such short notice."

"Very special. I'm at the Carlton, down 6th."

"I'll have them there in 15 minutes."

And she did. I called room service for champagne coolers and new glasses. I peeked down at myself and gagged. I rushed to my car to grab my emergency clothes. As I ran back into the lobby shirtless, an old white woman mugged me. At the same time, her husband gave me a thumbs up. I winked and went back up the elevator.

Roses were all over the floor, leading to the bed. There was a piano in the far corner. Pat covered it in rose petals with a big bouquet on top. I was 46 and squirming like a 16-year-old boy.

I've made Valentine's Day special for women, only to kick them out the next day or that night. It depended. I was going to call Janet regardless if I went with Jacqueline. "I need to call Miranda to thank her tomorrow." That's what I said as I moved the nightstand back. Jacqueline knocked it over.