Ch 19 : Apology Gift?

" What If Emperor Anastacius is still very much alive?"

Athelinda stared at the man as if he was crazy and gave out a light laugh," He can't, he's dead, everyone knows that. Even if he was alive the majority prefers Emperor Claude so I doubt his reign would last long." Athelinda said in joking tone.

The viscount slowly released the princess's hand and gave her a sad face. "I see, forgive me princess. I was rude. I will take my leave now." He walked away from Athelinda and most probably towards the door.

Athelinda was politely smiling throughout and waited for him to leave. After he had left she tried her best to walk and not sound like she was running. She walked swiftly to the librarians desk and slammed it quietly but loud enough for the librarian to be alarmed and look up from his book to the princess.

"P-Princess, is something the matter?"

"Cedric, the list of nobles who entered. Right now."

"Right away, my lady." Cedric picked up his clipboard and presented it to her.

Athelinda began intently reading the names written and as she had thought, Viscount Patterson hadn't come inside the library.

"Is this all?"

"Yes my lady. Perhaps did you see someone suspicious in the library?"

"No, it's nothing. Thanks Cedric."

----

"Cassandra, do you know about Duke Alpheus's vassals?"

Athelinda was currently drinking orange juice in her room while drawing a tree from her balcony.

Cassandra who had been cleaning the room hesitated a bit. "Did you meet the Duke again?"

"No, instead I met Viscount Patterson."

"Viscount Patterson? " Cassandra asked in surprise.

"Tell me everything you know about the man."

"He owns a mansion in the countryside. The Patterson's manage a small territory there. But, Viscount Patterson is nearly retiring. He has four children and he has already chosen a successor.  The viscount himself is too old and sickly to manage his work so his children do it. If you met him in the castle then he might be here to officially give his son the title of head of the family, with the blessing of the emperor."

"Is that so?...Have you ever seen him?

"No, he hardly makes public appearances."

"I see. Cassandra,  More juice."

"As you wish."

Cassandra left and Athelinda began to connect all the pieces of information she had gotten.

What If Emperor Anastacius is still very much alive?

The viscount himself is too old and sickly...

Athelinda laughed to herself. She was so naive, thinking the man was telling the truth. Well, not trusting strangers is a rather basic thing taught to children and Athslinda straight up ignored it.

She didn't know whether to laugh at her foolishness or cry. Well it's not like that man actually hurt her, but she's involved with a super shady guy now.

"Maybe I should tell an adult about this ... the emperor?"

No. No way. The emperor is a cheater.

Athelinda decided to just keep it to herself.

----

It has been two weeks since the tea time and confession with the emperor. And Athelinda hasn't seen him since.

She's been cooped up in her room. She doesn't even go to the library anymore. She just asks Cassandra to bring her a book from the library. She has already read the section of emperors, so no need to go read it at the library.

Athelinda was curious about divine beasts again, but the key is with Claude and he doesn't let her go alone.

Should she just steal the key?

And get her hands cut for theft?

no thanks.

Cassandra knocked before coming inside with a few books, which she placed on Athelinda's bed beside the princess.

"Would you like juice?"

"Yes."

"Oh and Princess, Sir Felix gave this to me on my way. From His Majesty."

Athelinda looked at the black box in Cassandra's hands. It was small, enough to be held in one hand and also light enough to be easily carried.

"I'll go get the juice." Cassandra left and Athelinda opened the box.

And she had to close it again before opening, because she couldn't believe what was in it. The Silver key to the Forbidden Library. Is the emperor giving it to her? But, why?

Is this like an apology gift?

Athelinda felt the urge to reject it since the emperor himself hadn't apologized for the cheating, and he thinks that just by sending a gift he can amend things?

Well If the gift is the key to the forbidden library unknown to most people, and it is given to Athelinda who was already craving for books on Divine beasts.  Then yes. She is happy.

But, What if the key gets stolen? What if something happens? She also has that shady guy involved. Athelinda began overthinking. She decided going out so suddenly would be a bad idea, since Felix could be standing outside waiting for her to go to the library so he can report to the emperor that the princess liked the gift.

So she's gonna go there tomorrow. For now she read the books Cassandra had brought her.

◇◇◇

Vote and Comment!