Ch 39 : Naive

After the royal children were back in the courtroom, Claude asked Athelinda, "What would be a suitable punishment ?"

Athelinda took a minute to think about it. Something not too extreme, just right for what he did, but at the same time something that teaches the Quweez not to mess with Obelian's again.

A false accusation. False spreading of rumours. Physical Violence, well Isabelle only tore a part of her uniform, but hey, it counts. Blasphemy of a member of the royal family. Rudeness towards a member of royalty. Not greeting a royalty despite being of lower rank. Honestly the amount of the acts should be enough to have them both hanged, but this isn't Obelia, its Arlanta.

And although the trial went in their favour, the laws of Arlanta are a lot more lenient. Athelinda eyed Emperor Esteban who was talking to Nicholas.

The conversation they had last night. . . was to decide the punishment, so then why is he even asking me?

Athelinda looked at Claude, trying to understand his motives.

Her attention was stolen when she heard the door close and saw Nicholas had left. Well, he was quite startled by that scene. Esteban had a serious look on his face and he was staring at Athelinda.

She averted her eyes from the door and onto the trial's platform where she saw the Academy's magician restraining Raymond.

Athelinda's senses were warning her. Something was wrong. Claude and Esteban decided the punishment last night. Why is Claude asking me then?

'Claude is already digging out your origins.'

Words flashed through her head. Warnings. And then a question.

'How can you be like this?'

'It's part of my blood.'

She looked at Claude. He couldn't have figured out she's his daughter, right? What if he's testing her? Seeing if her answer will be brutal or childish? Whether she can be a threat or if she's harmless?

"Father, I can't really think of a suitable punishment, I will simply trust any judgment you and Emperor Esteban make." Athelinda bowed her head slightly.

She didn't look at Claude, which was probably a good decision since she could feel his stare on her.

"Fine."

". . .May I be excused?" Athelinda slowly raised her head.

Claude raised his eyebrows and gave her a questioning gaze, but Athelinda remained quiet.

"Princess, Nicholas seemed a bit off, perhaps something happened or did you say something?" Esteban entered their conversation when he noticed the short silence.

His stare was intimidating. 

For some reason she's become more conscious of her surroundings after Nicholas left, or maybe she's just digging too deep in their slight actions. She again placed her eyes on the floor and explained.

"We ran into the girl from Quweez in the imperial gardens. She started another verbal fight, but our magician, Lucas, arrived on the scene and restrained her. It was a rather unpleasant scene to witness so I believe his highness is merely having a hard time settling that memory."

Esteban then glared at Claude, who replied with, "Athelinda, you may go now."

Athelinda could sense a fight starting between the two emperor's. Esteban seemed to quite dote on his one and only child. Athelinda started moving towards the door and slightly glanced back before stepping out.

Ah, everything's starting to go the wrong way. She was definitely relieved when Claude showed up, but what if the reason Claude showed up wasn't to defend Athelinda but to personally assess the situation? What if he actually thought Athelinda cheated and if she had, that would've confirmed she was his daughter?

Athelinda remembered an extract from a book, as she marched back to her room.

'Emperor Anastacius was a man of no mercy. He would have nobles executed for the pettiest of reasons. A cold blooded ruler who was found to have been involved in dark magic. He showed little emotions and was like a mad beast when provoked.'

Hah, the very definition of a villain. And just because I inherited some similar traits to him, I've become the villain. Gee, I don't even get why their being so alert. Should I act like Athanasia? Be all smiles and cuteness to make myself look harmless? 

Nicholas is afraid of me. He denied it, but he is.

Emperor Esteban probably thinks I'm the reason why Nicholas's acting weird.

Emperor Claude knows I'm Emperor Anastacius's daughter and he came here to see whether I'll walk a similar path to my father or be a harmless girl like Athanasia is.

I was naive.

My every move was being watched by him. My replies, my expressions, everything.

But I haven't done anything wrong. So I'll be fine. The Academy is the best place for me right now.

In the Academy I'm safe from all the dangers.

Just one more day in the Palace and then back to the Academy. I caused quite a scene, but let's hope the rumours die down after a few months.

Athelinda finally reached her room and shut the door close, before leaning on it.

She looked at the ceiling in her room.

It's alright. Just one more day. Claude will go back by tomorrow hopefully. Let's just put up a good act tomorrow.

She calmed herself, or at least tried, but her legs were shaking. It had been a while since she felt this emotion. Fear. The way the two emperors' stares pierced through her.

The way she felt like a kitten in a den of beasts.

It was frightening but also frustrating.

She's weak.

Too weak.

She can't stand her ground in front of them.

She can't even look them straight in the eye.

Hah, what a joke she was.

Athelinda's hand slowly creeped up to her chest and then neckline, where the blue topaz hung.

Father. . . I have so many questions which I want to be answered. Why, why did you abandon me? Why was I found on the street by Liara ? The Palace is scary. Royals are scary. I don't want to be surrounded by people with whom I constantly need to keep my guard up. I wanna be somewhere safe. Somewhere I can feel safe.

Father. . .

She held the topaz tightly and her back slid down the door until she was sitting with her legs to her chest as she dug her face in between.

She didn't cry.

She just hummed a calming tune to herself to clear her mind. Using her mana to block out all the unnecessary sounds and just focusing on her hand that held the necklace and her humming.

Slowly she got up, still humming the sound and walked up towards the huge curtains of the room. Shutting them close and then going up to the mirror, still humming, and taking her accessories off one by one.

Her hair ornaments, bracelets. Opening up her hair, brushing them a little bit to assure them from getting tangled.

And she kept humming to herself before reaching the bed and dropping upon it.

Just one more day.

◇◇◇◇◇
Vote and Comment!