Ch 35 : Dinner with Arlanta's Royals

The carriage ride to the Palace was comfortable. The Arlantan Imperial Family stood out of their Palace to welcome the Obelian Emperor and his daughter.

It was a grand welcome. Too grand. Almost as if the Arlantan Emperor was purposely doing so much for them, so they wouldn't let this little incident affect the relation between the two kingdoms.

"Emperor Claude, Its been too long."

Claude just glared at the emperor, he probably caught on as to why the emperor was acting this way.

"Oh, and Greetings there, little princess!"

Athelinda gave the emperor a curtsy.

"I hope you'll get along well with my son." The Arlantan Emperor pushed forward a child about the age of Athelinda, if not a year older. "Now, now, introduce yourself." The emperor whispered as he patted the boys head.

"Greetings Emperor and Princess. I'm Nicholas Vitale Arlanta." Prince Nicholas bowed slightly.

"Now then come inside."

________

The two imperial families were now sitting on the dining table. The Empress couldn't join for dinner due to her frail health, so it was just the emperors and their children.

The emperors sat across the long table, with their children sitting on their right hand sides.

"For you to come all the way to Arlanta, what might be the reason?" The Arlantan emperor asked with an innocent smile.

Athelinda observed the emperor. His ashen hair fell gently on his left shoulder, tied by a small ribbon. His sharp emerald eyes twinkled with innocence as he stared at the Obelian Emperor for an answer. He looked quite young despite his ashen hair.

"Don't play dumb with me, Esteban." Claude replied, causing both Athelinda and Nicholas to slightly look around anxiously.

"Seriously, I don't know what was so urgent that you came to Arlanta in such a short notice. . . Except, the Merika Empire?" Esteban raised his eyebrows.

Claude sighed as he loosened his suits top buttons. "The Academy. What is the name of those insects again?" Claude asked as he looked at Athelinda. 

"Oh-Uh-Isabelle Quweez and Raymond Quweez." Athelinda hurriedly gulped down the bite she was chewing to answer.

Claude then stared back at Esteban, waiting for a response.

"What. . . about the Quweez Duchy?"

"Esteban, surely even you know something of what I'm saying." Claude grumbled.

Esteban frowned as he tried to make sense of the Obelian Emperors words.

"Father, if I may?" The young prince Nicholas asked for permission.

Esteban nodded and so the prince explained, "Princess Athelinda there, attends the International Arlanta Academy. Lady Isabelle Quweez accused the princess of cheating not too long ago. Lady Quweez spread rumours and even brought forth evidence of the princess's cheating-"

Claude slammed the table. "Athelinda, didn't. cheat. Are we clear?"

Nicholas was overcome with fear by just a few words from Claude's mouth. He didn't utter a single word henceforth.

For the Obelian emperor to become so annoyed by a mere accusation directed at his daughter, it was a rare sight to see. Esteban didn't think the Obelian emperor was one to care about family or those who shared his blood. Not just that, but the supposed daughter Claude was defending was also rumored to actually be his niece instead. Truly a peculiar sight.