Ch 41 : Empress

Dare I say Athelinda had a lovely time with the empress? because she did.

At first her guard melted but she soon regained composure as she sat down for tea. She was expecting some ill intentions or poisoned words to be directed at her. But the empress only talked about childish things.

She talked to them like one would talk to a child. Asking Nicholas about his schedule and studies and asking Athelinda about her hobbies and then which books she had read and some suggestions. It was a completely normal conversation.

Unlike Esteban who despite looking innocent spit insults towards Athelinda's origins. The Empress not only looked like a saint, she definitely acted the part.

Amidst their time, Nicholas stood up, declaring he had to go see his father now. Athelinda was going to leave as well, but the empress requested her to stay.

Now that Nicholas had left, Athelinda brought up her guard and alerted her body and mind to be ready for any slight signs of hostility.

"Come a bit closer dear." She ordered. Athelinda stood up, but before she could drag the chair nearer, the maids around the garden moved the chair directly beside the Empress.

Athelinda remained alert as she sat on the chair.

"You needn't be so cautious of me." She spoke as she looked at Athelinda.

Amethysts met Jewels and the empress continued, her stare not dropping from Athelinda.

"I heard about the trial." She placed a hand on Athelinda's back. "I'm sorry you had to go through it."

Athelinda stared at the empress completely dumbfounded.

"I'm different from my husband. And unfortunately or fortunately, Nicholas inherited more of my genes than his." She chuckled.

The empress brought her hand towards Athelinda head and caressed it.

"You're such a strong girl. Much like everyone I've seen in the Alger Obelia's."

Athelinda felt rather prideful when she talked about her and the Alger Obelians.

"But you are still a child." She spoke solemnly.

"And the world is needlessly cruel to you." She smiled in sympathy. "You might not be comfortable in doing so but, if you ever need someone to talk to, or someone to cry in front of. I'll be here. You might be an Alger Obelian for the world. But to me you're just another child. And I have a soft spot for children." The Empress winked.

Athelinda was just staring at her, speechless.

"You see, I've always loved children. And I wanted to have several children. I wanted Nicholas to have several siblings so that he would never get lonely. But. . . as fate would have it, handling child birth once was enough to weaken me for years. Having a second child would kill me and the child as well."

She spoke as she clutched her stomach.

"So I hope you won't mind me thinking of you as one of my own."

The empress leaned in, kissing Athelinda on her forehead, before giving her a smile.

"You'll be in Arlanta for your Academy. Rose, give her the pass."

One of the maids came forward with an iron plate, with Arlantan symbols inscribed on it, and handed it over to Athelinda.

"With this, you can enter the Palace, my Palace, whenever you want."

"Your Majesty, this is too much! I- I'm grateful for your concern but. . . I. . ."

The empress merely smiled. "Its fine dear." She held Athelinda's hands. "Perhaps I was too excited to meet you, and talked too much too quickly.  This is our first meeting. But my offer remains the same no matter how many years pass."

Athelinda looked at the empress who was smiling. Such kindness, to think a person who could be this kind and generous could exist. It felt unreal, which is why Athelinda couldn't trust her. Why would the empress suddenly tell her all this?

And although the situation was as suspicious as one could be, when Athelinda would look at the empress, her long cherry red hair decorating her shoulders and her smile that looked so innocent and genuine. Athelinda couldn't bring herself to doubt her.

"I'm sorry for overwhelming you with all my feelings. You may go now if you feel uncomfortable. But I hope to see you come to me one day. I don't like seeing children maturing this early. You're allowed to be a child in front of me at least." The empress spoke at the end.

Athelinda left the garden soon after, the empress's words were one she couldn't forget no matter how hard she tried. The iron plate which was her only means of entering the Palace without any Royal Escorts.

Walking back to her room, she saw Noah stationed outside of the garden. The two remained quiet at first but then Athelinda began, "Say Sir Noah, you were appointed as my guard by Sir Felix. Do your loyalties lay with the emperor or me? "

She stopped and locked eyes with Noah.

It was a blunt question. A very blunt one. But Athelinda needed to know who was on her side and who wasn't. Cassandra was most definitely her pawn as she had nowhere else to go. Noah had been quiet all this time, his quietness could be seen as him observing the princess's actions and reporting them to the emperor.

Obviously Athelinda knew Noah wouldn't give her a truthful answer. But she wanted to see his reaction towards that question.

Noah possessed honey eyes and black hair. His quiet and mysterious demeanor was enough to make him seem suspicious by Athelinda. She didn't understand why Felix would assign her a knight which seemed so opposite of Felix's own character.

"I am loyal to the princess."

Athelinda mentally sighed. Of course he'd say that. There was no change in his usual blank expression.

"And you are mistaken. Lord Robane did not appoint me. I volunteered. "

Athelinda continued to stare at Noah's unchanging expression.

"And you're reasoning for that would be?"

"I was ordered to." Noah spoke in a whisper, barely enough for Athelinda to understand.

"By wh-" Before Athelinda could ask, Noah pointed to the center of his own neckline and then pointed at Athelinda.

Athelinda's expression turned grim.

Noah was ordered to protect her, by her father, Anastacius?

◇◇◇◇

Vote and Comment!