Chapter 8- That's my mate!

AN: LATE UPDATE! Sorry about that. Ehehehehe. Also, this might be a boring chapter. I am preparing the stage for Kong and Arthit, or something. I also got carried away, writing about this so-called design competition. Sorry.

--_--

"Hey Kong, you're being called at the Faculty Office," Tew said. I looked at the class president in surprise.

"Did they say why?" I asked him as I stood up from my seat, having had confirmed that I have an extra time before our classes started.

"No. K'Suradej just asked me to relay the message. Sorry Kong, I didn't ask him."

"No, no. It's okay Tew. I'll go see him real quick, then."

I jogged towards the Faculty Room from my classroom, which was luckily located on the same floor. I entered the open doorway and waited behind the small vestibule before the barrier set up there. A professor came around the corner and I greeted her, asking her for Professor Suradej. Not a minute later, said professor came out and beamed at me when he saw me.

"My, my, my. Our first-year gem is here!" he greeted me as we finished exchanging the customary greeting.

I looked at him in confusion. His exclamation had garnered the attention of some of the professors there, looking at me in intrigue, and making me self-conscious.

"Khaap Khun?" I said, unsure.

"Aw. Did you not get a notification? Your proposal for the Innovative Design Systems has won this year! Out of fifteen participants from our university alone, yours was the one that won. Congratulations, Nong!" the young professor exclaimed excitedly.

I was so very much speechless. I've forgotten about it, actually, the contest that I decided to join, during the first few weeks of the first semester. It was open only for the freshmen and I joined because it looked interesting. So, I submitted one of the things that I had been studying for the past few months, something that I had wanted to present to my parents as a new line of products for the company.

"Your idea was well-received by the judges. It's something new, because, let's be honest, solar powered stuff, although it is a very good system, helps with the environment and all, is an overused concept. You're one of the few who had presented a viable system that could help with agriculture."

"Well sir, we are an agricultural country. So... yeah. And also, the reduction of plastics that pollutes our surroundings would definitely be a positive thing for our planet."

"Oh, it's the hydroponics system, right?" asked one of the older professors, K'Tipnarapat.

I greeted him and confirmed that it was indeed a hydroponics system. He asked me to explain my concept to him and I obliged, telling him the basics of it. He looked pretty interested on the project while the mentor for the contest stood there proudly.

"Hmm. This is really a good concept. Say, N'Kongpob. How do you feel about teaming up with one of your seniors? You will need to team up anyway, but how about I recommend someone?" K'Tipnarapat asked me.

"Uh, team up with a senior for what, Khun? The contest is done."

K'Tipnarapat looked at me with confused look then looked towards K'Suradej.

"I haven't gotten around to explaining to him, yet, Khun," the younger professor explained sheepishly. I looked at them both in curiosity.

"You see, N'Kongpob. Every year, there is one entry per university that participated in this contest that was chosen by a panel. The panel that chooses the winning entries are actually representatives from big manufacturing companies. After each entry were chosen, each company participating in this partnership with universities for this project would get one project to be their product, crediting the author of the product of course. You can also apply for a patent if you wanted to. To be able to present to the board though, the project should be a complete proposal, with a fool-proof design. In order to achieve that, universities usually partner up the winning freshman with older students to help guide them. Of course, the seniors would be graded with their participation by their professors. I'd still be there to guide you, too," K'Suradej explained.