Chapter 18 - if you never try, you'll never know

Kannika's POV

The reports were done. We had presented the current numbers to the whole of the shareholders. I could see some of them looking hopeful, relieved, while some still remained dubious. The rest remained impassive, their burning curiosity barely concealed.

Actually, everyone was curious. And I am definitely enjoying torturing them with this. I know that the woman beside me was enjoying this too, basking at the attention from all the others.

"So, those are the reports about Siam International. The new product launch is looking good, don't you think? It is getting positive results from the consumers so I think we are on the right track here. I have high hopes, really.

With that being said, I would like to give reports about the subsidiaries under the compa–"

"No. Kannika, no. We've waited long enough already!" Uh-oh. Khun Sayuri was definitely not looking happy.

She was staring daggers at the woman beside me, who was sitting nonchalantly, a devil-may-care smile on her face.

"Tell us why you had the need to sell shares to our rival!"

Murmurs erupted across the room. Oh my, we sure have a lot of opposers for this decision of ours. What should I tell them to appease them? Hmmm...

"I think there is nothing wrong with this, am I right? People might have perceived Siam International and Rojnapat Enterprises– our families as rivals– but that is not something we are acknowledging–"

Several snorts and eyerolls. Even I wanted to roll my eyes at my husband's words. I could see that he was amused though, so I left the explanation for his enjoyment.

"-- anyway, I would like for us to leave those in the past, start over in friendlier terms. It would be better to have a friend, an ally, with someone as powerful too."

"And you think we would believe that?" scoffed Khun Charunee. Khun Sayuri nodded her head in agreement.

"Why not?" asked Kerkklai.

The two women looked pointedly at me and Achara. We were civil with one another, wasn't that sign enough that we weren't enemies anymore? So I raised an eyebrow in challenge.

"They are rivals, Kerkklai. Rivals!" Khun Charunee insisted, glaring daggers at Achara.

"And we've decided to end this rivalry," answered Kerkklai calmly. "I am honestly tired of walking on eggshells everytime there is an event with our families present. So I forged an alliance with Khun Phunsawat. Phun is a great businessman, I know they could help us stabilize our company at the moment."

"I–"

"That is not a bad idea. The Rojnapats may be our rival in terms of business but I know that they uphold their ethics to the highest regard. I have no qualms in welcoming them into our company. This is actually a good move on your part Kerkklai," Khun Sirichai said, cutting off Khun Charunee's protests.

He looked at me and the person beside me with a critical eye, probably judging whether we would be okay with everything (with one another). Nodding his head decisively, he turned to the others and addressed them, a smile playing on his lips.

"I definitely see a brighter future for us, ladies and gentlemen. And even if you oppose this, it has already been done. The shares had been sold, otherwise they wouldn't be here. Now, shall we move on to other important reports?"

Murmurs met his declaration, that pleased smile unwavering on his face. A few minutes of uneasiness later, the others grudgingly accepted the decision. Beside me, Achara looked pleased. I, myself, heaved a silent sigh of relief. With this at least the burden from our problems was lessened.