Chapter 21: Parabellum

A few days later, the Schale Auditorium was rife with chatters and whispers once more. The students were talking with each other in a hushed tone, speculating what was happening this time. Worry was apparent in some of them, fearing that their teachers had gone missing once more.

Any further noises were silenced as the door opened. Nanakami Rin entered the room while holding the tablet, along with the three pilots. Her cold gaze emitted so much more pressure than usual, causing everyone to reflexively gulp. Tension was at its peak and everyone in the room could feel it.

Rin

Rin

Rin went to the middle podium. The three pilots leaned on the wall with focus on their faces, waiting for Rin to start. "Let us start the briefing immediately," Rin said as the projector powered on and the room turned dark. "At 0830 hours, the snake entity in Abydos ruins has begun to move." The projector showed aerial pictures of the beast, with a trail of sand behind it. "At its current pace, it would reach the outskirts of Abydos in about 5 hours."

"Now, on to the main problems." She grimaced as she continued. "Our teachers, skilled as they are, would have little to no way of damaging the beast." She readjusted her glasses and gave a moment for the information to sink. The three pilots closed their eyes in acceptance of the fact. One of them, however, did so reluctantly. "That is because the beast is vulnerable to our Mystics."

Rin nodded as the youngest pilot in the room moved toward the podium. His steps were brisk and disciplined. As he reached the podium, he faced the crowd that was his students. Seeing their faces made it harder for the pilot to say what had to be said.

He closed his eyes momentarily. He took a deep breath before opening his eyes for everyone to see. His eyes were filled with determination, but somehow they were also mixed with reluctance. A contradiction, indeed.

"It is as Rin said. We... are powerless against that thing." He said with a heavy tone. The two other pilots looked down toward the ground in shame. He clenched his fists as he steeled on. The room was dead silent as the crowd waited for him. "I know I'm asking for so much, but..." He grimaced. "we need your help."

"I know we... no, I shouldn't do this, but... there is no other choice."

"I'm sorry." He said with lingering regret in his tone and a grim expression on his face. "I-"

"Sensei~" A voice caused him to look up to the crowd. His students... they were... smiling at him. How could they? The young pilot just asked them to fight something so powerful that the pilots couldn't even scratch. So, why?