Chapter 40: Nightfall

The looming night had blanketed the whole of Trinity with its smothering darkness. A thick presence choked the atmosphere, a dreading sensation of the chaos that was about to begin. The shadow of the night was certain to accompany all the pieces on stages, ready to act out their part.

"How many do we got right now?" Mantis asked as he made a last-minute adjustment on his HUD. Davis whispered as he counted the enemies highlighted on his radar. "Whew, looks like they're bringing in the party. At least a company-worth of them, maybe more."

"Heh, then it'll be a bash, just how you like it." Droz rebuked as he stretched his arms. Mantis exhaled, his eyes turning to one of cold steel underneath his bright blue visor. "Everyone ready?" He adjusted his gun.

"Yup."

"Affirmative."

"Then let's roll." The sound of a flickering machine ensued, followed by Mantis' sudden disappearance. Droz and Davis made a light grin, shortly before they too disappeared into the night.

Their plan was simple and straightforward, yet also complicated. The Pilots were on the defending team. Each of them had their own checkpoint to cover, devised from Azusa's advice. According to her, they came to this ground for one sole purpose.

Removing Nagisa from the picture.

The solution should've been quite simple, no? And yet, the complication still came from having to be somewhat silent amidst the Trinity grounds to avoid panic and further chaos. A night raid had always been complicated, more so when you're on the defending side.

A sudden attack in the dead of night would sure to cause chaos and mayhem, which were the last thing the Pilots needed.

--------------------

You quietly hummed as you silently brush the greeneries aside, allowing for a clear vision ahead. A group of four, silently advancing from cover to cover was before you. A small fireteam with silenced rifles, you thought. White uniform, black vest and armor, and a gas mask concealing their identity.

'So this is Arius, huh?' Your mind harbored an idle rhetoric question as you observed their demeanor, stature, and equipment. They were well-trained, no doubt. Not as a student... but as a soldier. The way they move, how they carry themselves, their coordination... all of them screamed of a high amount of training.

'Complete radio silence... a safety measure?' You idly thought as neither the three of you had intercepted any of their radio contacts. 'Well, whatever, one step at a time.' You nodded as you looked down below to your silenced Alternator.

|Cloak Active|

You moved, light-footed and quick. Not a single sound was made as the grass beneath you made way for your silent march, a testament to your years of training in hell. You wanted to test their skills. You knew that they were well-trained, but your curiosity kept simmering within.