Chapter 32: Another Peaceful Day

The leaves danced as they were blown by the wind, creating a soothing sound for you to hear. Your eyes were drawn to the almost-hypnotic movements of the greeneries that provided your shading. The leaves moved with a rhythm that struck a chord within you. What kind of tree was that, you idly wondered. 

"What's wrong, Sensei?" Her worried voice drew your attention to your left. Your lips curved upward in a small smile as you gently patted her head. You grazed a few stray strands of her silver locks as her crimson eyes were still patiently awaiting your answer. "No, it's nothing."

The rest of the day had passed, with her by your side. 'Hm...' Back then, peace meant silence for you. But now...

Yes, silent might not be the word that described her. She was always so ready to respond to your teasing with a jab, a kick, or a good ol' bonk. So rowdy and frenetic at times. And she was as stubborn as a rock too.

Yet despite all of that, you still found your peace by her side.

'I... lo...' You thought as you opened your mouth to speak. She inquisitively waited for what you had to say as she gazed at you softly. But you froze on the spot as a gentle breeze made her hair flow freely in the air, following the wind's rhythm. 'Nnn... not yet...'

"Sensei?" She snapped you out of your rambling thoughts. "A-Ahem... oh, right, things will be getting busier for Schale again." You swiftly changed the topic, trying to hide the faint warmth on your face. "I won't be in the office much."

She looked downcast at the news. "I see..." Iori muttered, causing a wistful sigh to escape you. Yet suddenly, an amusing idea crossed your mind. She... reminded you of a cat, somehow. You chuckled at the thought.

"What are laughing at?"

"Nothing... just..." You neared her with a teasing intent as she flinched in surprise. "Eh, what are you-" Her cheeks flushed red as she realized how close you were. You closed in on her pointed ear as you whispered softly. "Try not to miss me too much, okay?"

BONK!

--------------------

Mantis' jump kits flared loudly as he ran along the building wall. "There he is!" One of them screamed, prompting the other to open fire upon his figure. A hail of bullets blasted their way to him, but he evaded as he quickly jumped across and continued his swift advance.

He pulled the trigger on his CAR sub-machine gun. A burst of lead hit one of the thugs in the head and knocked her out cold instantly. The rest of them flinched but quickly regained their focus, only to realize he was nowhere to be seen.

He reappeared out of thin air so close before them. He slid his way as his gun lit up, taking down two more thugs. The remaining survivors tried to retaliate, but a series of gunshots quickly gunned them down from behind, their bodies swiftly dropping onto the pavement.

Mantis grinned as Droz neared him with his hand raised. He quickly replied by giving him a high-five as the two smiled underneath their helmets. Unfortunately, they were interrupted as the thunderous sound of footfalls neared the two.