Chapter 22: Foregone Conclusion

"I'm in position." You sat and leaned your body on the half-wall of a rooftop. Being a formerly metropolitan area, the building you were situated at, along with the other buildings in general, was quite tall, comparable to the ones in the main city. Your rocket launcher was sitting nice and comfortably beside you.

The building you were on top of was precisely where the edge of the city met with the vast wilderness of the Abydos desert. Rocky mountains and the ever-expanding dune field created the uneven terrain before you. Even if it was in the afternoon, the strange white light markings were still visible clearly in the sky. Just one of the things that you found so... strange in this world.

A group of black ravens squawked above you, heading toward where your enemy lies. One of the ravens seemed to glance at you from the distance. Readjusting your shemagh, you dismissed the thought as a mere illusion your mind conjured.

"Someone's sounding chipper~" Davis' voice came from the private communication channel. His tone was teasing, something you weren't particularly fond of. Especially when the target of his antics was you.

"...I'll shove those Kraber rounds up your ass."

"Apologies, sir!" He hurriedly faux apologized. You could sense the insincerity in his voice as you sighed wearily. Droz was laughing loudly in response. You literally only said three words and he had figured you out. Are you that easily readable nowadays?

"By the way, Mantis, you're sure you don't want to tell them about your role?"

"Eh, they can lecture me later." You nonchalantly answered. Telling your students your role was an invitation for chaos and arguments. You could hear Droz sighing in the background as a response. "Well, suit yourself. They ain't gonna like it."

"Target has entered the area of operation, green light!" Rin's voice alerted you. You readied yourself as you could feel the ground lightly rumbling. The first phase of the mission was all on you. Your role was straightforward but your students know not of it. "Good luck, everyone!"

You were the bait. A simple bait that can hopefully outrun the mighty predator.

You did this of your own volition. And a stubborn insistence on your part. At first, heavy opposition came from Rin but she relented eventually. Your brothers trusted you enough to know what you're actually doing.

The low machine growling could already be heard, even before the beast appeared in your sight. For what reasons it moved away, you know not. Nor did you care. That thing needs to be stopped at all costs. Not just for Abydos, but for the whole of Kivotos as well.

Heh, some teacher you are.

A familiar shimmering white armor appeared in your field of vision. The giant beast appeared slithering from a nearby dune in front of you. It wasn't aware of your existence, for now.

The oddly pristine metallic armor, the growling sound that was so beastly in nature, the eerie yellow glow from its orifices. All the same, as you remembered. Right on time. Right on track, too.