Chapter 26.5: Protocol Three

He closed his blurred eyes and hugged her with all his might. He prayed, not for himself, but for the girl in his embrace. He had no fear of his death, but he prayed so that she may yet live another day. Logic and reasoning had done their part, so now faith and prayers shall accompany them.

She shouted with all of her remaining voice. A plea for him to release her. So that they would go into cover together somehow, even though there was nothing around them anymore, only the scarred dune of Abydos remained. She would still believe that they could, no matter how vain it was.

A sudden shadow loomed over them. Not of death, but of a partner. A Titan to her Pilot. Her crimson eyes widened as she saw her Sensei's Titan take a knee and lean forward, protecting the two with his bruised and battered machine body. Sparks were already flying out of his body periodically while his right arm was no longer there.

Though the whistling sound was getting louder than anything she had ever heard, the Titan's voice still echoed within her. "Farewell, Pilot, Miss Iori." His already weakly shining eye socket beeped as his voice came through.

The Titan did not know whether his words would reach his Pilot or not. He knew that he was already barely conscious, moving only through his sheer will alone. But even then, perhaps deep in his heart, he would always know.

After all, he had heard that exact same protocol hundreds of times now.

"Protocol three: Protect the Pilot."