Chapter 12

An hour after Adelinde had left to continue with her job, she tapped me on the shoulder.
"Y/N, how are you doing? Would you like a drink, or anything?"

"No thank you, I'm okay." I replied, feeling better now that I had somebody to talk to.

As if I had not said it, Adelinde placed a cup of tea beside me and took a seat.
"So, have you figured out what you are going to do for Master Diluc?"

I sighed and shook my head.
"Not yet. The thing is... I'd get nervous. It's normal, yet only happens when I've been thinking about saying something rather than on the spot."

She smiled at me. It seemed like maybe she'd been thinking about it too.
"Hmm... perhaps you could tell him in some sort of letter? That way you would not have to be worried."

"That's a good idea, actually." I took a sip of the tea she gave me. "What should I write, though?"

Adelinde got a small piece of paper and a pen, before pushing it in my direction.
"Mention all of the things he's done for you, and how you are grateful for them. I understand it can be difficult to put feelings into words, so just try your best."

After hearing her suggestion, I started writing. I did not write about Diluc helping me after Kaeya bit me, because Adelinde was there and could easily see it. Instead, I'd add it when I got home.

"Aw, he's done all of this for you?" She grinned, reading the letter. "That's rather sweet. You two get along well, I see."

I didn't fully understand how I had gone from being scared of Diluc to good friends with him in such a short amount of time. Though in a way, I felt strangely comforted by that fact.

"Yeah, I suppose we do." I replied, finishing the letter.

---

The day passed fairly quickly, probably because there was not much to do.
Other than some of the maids coming to talk to me now and again, it was quite boring.

I was already feeling anxious about giving Diluc the note, because it would probably be awkward afterwards. Also, what if he didn't realize what the note was for?

Sighing, I got out of my seat, and bumped into Moco.
"Ah... you'll be going soon, won't you?" She sadly mentioned, while Hillie walked towards us.

"Yeah, in about five minutes."

Hillie drooped her head down.
"But we barely got to talk to you! Adelinde can be really annoying sometimes... you'll come back though, right?"

I smiled and nodded.
"Of course I will, don't worry. It was nice to meet you guys."

Though none of us realized at first, Diluc had walked into the winery. He seemed quite tired after a long shift at the tavern.

"I'm going to miss you!" Moco ran towards me and pulled me into a hug. For some reason, I found it funny.

"Ahaha, I'm not leaving forever. Besides, I don't need supervision. You can come visit me whenever." I hugged her back.

Diluc leaned against the wall, a slight smile on his face.

"Pft, like Adelinde would-" Moco stopped herself from speaking after noticing both Diluc and Adelinde were in the room. "N-Nevermind..." She added, pulling away from the hug.

I waved at them and gave a quick smile to Diluc, before leaving the winery.

He followed me out.
"Goodness, they're very energetic."

"Yep, you were right, they were obsessed with me."

A soft laugh escaped his lips and we started to walk back to his home in the dark.

"How was your shift?" I asked, sliding my hands into my pockets.

"It was decent, actually. Strangely, Kaeya did not show up all day." Diluc peered down at the floor.

"Oh, really? Weird. Maybe he thought I was going to be there."

"Maybe... I look forward to sleeping, if I'm quite honest. I lost track of how many drinks I have made today."

"I don't know how you do it..." I grinned. My hand touched the note in my pocket and my heart stopped for a second. I had completely forgotten about it, and my nervousness immediately went through the roof.

Even worse, Diluc caught on it.
"You alright? You look like you've just seen a ghost."

"Huh? Um... yeah, I'm okay..!"
I tried to act natural, though it just made it worse.

"You are not the greatest liar, Y/N. What is the matter?" He gazed at me, actually sounding a little concerned.

"I'm fine. I just... thought I left something at the winery for a second. That's all." I probably said it really quickly, but Diluc seemed to buy it.

"If you say so."

---

Once we'd arrived back, Diluc already decided to go to bed. I didn't mind, though, because he had spent all day behind a counter, making drinks for drunkards.

I went upstairs as well and once he closed his bedroom door, I started pacing.
'Is this a bad idea?' I asked myself, holding the letter.

Lots of thoughts were running through my head about what could happen.
The positives overcame the negatives, surprisingly. So in the end, I decided to go for it.

I pushed the note under his door and went into the spare room, closing the door quickly.

-Diluc's POV-
I was about to fall asleep, but I noticed Y/N putting a piece of paper under my door.

I grabbed it and opened it - revealing a letter. I started to read it and sat down on to my bed.

...
...
...
'Oh wow. That's... not what I expected to read.'

I could not even try to hide my smile.
I did all of those things to keep her safe, because I care for her. My heart warmed when I came to realize she was so grateful for all of it.

Suddenly, it all clicked.
'Ah, so that's why she was acting weirdly earlier. She was nervous to give this to me.'

I genuinely found it quite cute how she wrote it all down instead of just telling me. Perhaps the maids helped her?

I placed the note down on my bedside table and got into bed.
I knew I would have to bring it up soon, but I decided not to that night because of the time, and how worried she would be.

I could not wait to see her face when she found out I caught on to everything.