Chapter 21

The dead body that lay in front of me gave me chills.
I had done that.
I killed someone.

"He's dead." Kaeya folded his arms.
The lifelessness in Xiong's eyes proved that. His skin was drained of colour and pale; the hole in his chest made me feel uneasy.

I pulled my knees to my own chest and dropped the wooden weapon I was holding so tight.
"Have your injuries healed, brother? Xiong was a cruel person, before and after becoming a vampire." Kaeya glanced at me for a second before turning to Diluc.

"I'm fine." Diluc replied - though he was looking at me.

Kaeya sighed to himself.
"Y/N, did Xiong hurt you in any way? Not just earlier, ever?"

I pulled up my sleeve and looked down at the bite mark. The blood dried, but a bruise was definitely going to form.
"Only when he bit my arm." I whispered back.

Diluc seemed like he felt a little guilty. He sat down next to me - Kaeya lifted a brow.
"Oh, no, no, that's fine. You two lovebirds can stay here, I'll dispose of him myself."

I didn't hear his remark, he said it ever so quietly. Though Diluc did.

"How did Xiong become a vampire?" I asked, laying my head in my arms.
With a sigh, Kaeya left to throw away his body.

"I'm not quite sure..." Diluc started, laying his head against the wall. He was obviously feeling sore after being tortured by that damn waiter. "But I know how he died."

I looked at him.
"Did he tell you?"

He shook his head.
"No. I killed him that evening we went to Good Hunter."

My eyes widened.
"Huh? You... killed him? Why?"

Diluc sensed that I may not have agreed with his actions and immediately started to explain.
"At the tavern, I heard a rumor that he killed people who peaked his interest. I investigated the matter and it turned out to be completely true... so when he started flirting with you, my mind blurred with anger and I made the choice to kill him."

"Oh... then you had a good excuse to kill him. So... was that why he brought you here? Revenge?"

"He was trying to get to you."

That caught me completely off guard.
"Get... to me? What do you mean?"

Diluc cleared his throat.
"This morning, when I awoke, I left my bedroom and spotted him about to go into the room you were in. We made eye contact... and all I could see was malicious intent."

It felt like my heart had stopped beating. Xiong was trying to get into the room I was in? That sounded horrible.
"You almost got yourself killed just to make sure he didn't get to me?"

Diluc nodded, as if it wasn't a big deal.
"Well... I couldn't do anything to stop him while I was tied to that chair. It was you who permanently stopped him from harming anyone, including yourself."

We were dangerously close to each other. Though in a way, it was strangely comforting as well.
I accidentally lay my head on the side of his shoulder, but I didn't want to move. It would make it awkward...
I felt Diluc's gaze on me; though I looked the other way in embarrassment.

"Are you all right? Your face has gone red." He asked.

I nodded. "I-I'm fine, it's just warm in here..."

Before either of us could say anything else, Kaeya walked back in. He didn't look very happy.
"There are little to no places to dump bodies anywhere around here. What are you two doing?"

Diluc and I made eye contact before moving away from each other.

"Anyways... I'll leave you to it. Xiong has been disposed of, and there's nothing to worry about." Kaeya turned around, ready to leave.

"Where are you going?"

"The tavern, obviously. Or perhaps to do some commissions. I'll decide when I get there."

---

When me and Diluc got back, half of the day had already passed.
He had gone upstairs to rest after a lot of convincing, to help his injuries heal faster.

Everything that had happened kept replaying in my head.
Especially the part where I killed Xiong once and for all - that would not leave my mind.

I sat on the couch and wrapped myself up in a blanket.
'Thank god he's dead.' I thought, leaning back.

To stop my mind from bringing up what happened, I tried to think of something nice that occurred.
Everything I thought of involved Diluc. Not one thought didn't have him in it.

I sighed and shut my eyes.
"Maybe a quick rest wouldn't hurt..."
I mumbled to myself, before I fell asleep.