Chapter 18

---

"Hm..."

Diluc turned around. He must have heard me.

"What's on your mind?" 

Before answering, I thought to myself - would this really be a good question to ask?

...

"I was just thinking... obviously there are lot of like... misconceptions about vampires, right?" 

He nodded.

"Yes, I suppose so... is there something you'd like to ask me?" 

"I know about the speed, but is there any other things you can do? Like, um... I don't know, mind reading? That'd be cool." I sat down and gazed at Diluc. He chuckled quietly and sat next to me.

"I can't mind read, no. The last thing I'd want is the power to invade people's thoughts. There's the speed, as you know..." He started. "How do I put this? We can kind of... make people do things. It's quite difficult to explain. Maybe you've heard of it? It's called compulsion."

Compulsion?

"Like the word? Being urged to do something?"

"Exactly that." Diluc nodded. "I tend not to do it. It's like taking away people's state of mind, forcing them to think or do something." 

"So... if you told me to do something, my mind would force me to do it?"

"It depends. If I were forcing you to do it with the intention of compelling you, yes. If not, that just makes me rude." 

I laughed.

"Ah, I get it. Is there anything else, or just those two? When I was younger, I remember reading something about vampires... it said something about flight? Is that true?"

"Flight? Ah, not quite. If a vampire jumped while using their speed, I guess it would look something like flying - but we can't straight up float in the air. That book you read must have been exaggerated a lot." 

"Aw, really?" I replied, pouting. "I was secretly hoping you'd be able to turn into a bat and fly above the clouds, or something." 

"A bat, huh? Goodness me, what books exactly have you been reading?" 

"Ouch, am I not allowed a wide imagination anymore?" I sarcastically added, before smiling.

Diluc leaned back and looked at the ceiling, a smile growing on his face.

"Even I have a 'wild imagination', as you'd put it. To be honest, I find it sweet that you still have a childhood toy. Jealous, in fact. I don't have any of mine anymore."

"Ah, well... I thought I had lost it. When you fixed it for me, it brought back a lot of memories from when I was younger that I thought were gone too." I lowered my voice, trying not to make the mood too dark. 

"Of course. I did that because I didn't want you to feel upset. Again, I can't bare the thought of you being down."

I tilted my head.

"You say that, but... I don't understand..."

I knew I sounded a little argumentative, but at the same time I wanted to know why.

"Why didn't you just... kill me as well? You know, the night with the treasure hoarders?"

Diluc looked at me as if he had just seen a ghost.

"You are asking me... why I didn't kill you? I thought that'd be obvious by now..."

I instantly felt bad for asking in the first place, but something in my head told me to keep asking. I wanted to know more, for some reason...

"Well, yes... you could have done it easily, why did you let me stay alive?" 

...

It took a little while for him to answer me.

"Because you haven't done anything wrong..."

Deep down, we both knew that was not the full reason. 

I didn't know, but Diluc did.

"That, and... you looked like you understood how I felt - lonely, isolated, guilty...  I wanted to talk to you. I felt like someone had compelled me to know you."

He leaned in closer to me and just made eye contact with me for a little while.

"I'm sorry for bringing it up." I replied, looking away.

-Diluc's POV-

Suddenly, I felt a twinge of guilt and sadness shoot through me.

I did want her to ask me questions, it'd help us know more about each other - but now I'd just screwed it all up. That's all I did. Screw everything up.

"It's... fine. You can ask me anything, I just didn't expect that to be a question of yours." 

She nodded, however it still did not feel right. 

I put my hand on my face and sighed.

"You're a..." 

I turned to look at her, expecting to be insulted. 

I knew she would end up hating me.

"You're a really nice person, you have such a kind heart... I've just never been so close with somebody, and I doubt things all the time. I'm sorry." 

Huh?

"Neither have I. We share a lot more in common than you think, Y/N. I swore once that I'd keep you safe, because I care for you... even if you don't share that feeling."

After saying that, I realized something...

What if...

What if I had feelings for her?

I looked down and tried to get that thought out of my head.

She's human, I'm not.

It wouldn't work.

She would grow old, I would stay as I am...

My mind is just playing tricks on me. I don't feel that way. I care for her platonically. 

"Diluc?"

I snapped out of my trance and gazed at her.

"Are you okay? You zoned out."

I nodded.

"I'm fine. Thank you."

[hey guys, sorry if this chapter isn't very good, my phone is kinda broken atm so i had to write this on my computer, hopefully ill try get more chapters out - as u can see w this one things r starting to happen!?!?!? anyways ly thanks for the support!]