Chapter 24

-My POV-
In the morning, my eyes opened and I was met with an unfamiliar scene.

I expected to wake up under the fluffy duvet I usually woke up to, but instead, I was sitting on the sofa with Diluc - who was fast asleep.
His hair was messy and the hair tie that held his red locks was about to fall out.

I rubbed my eyes with my wrist and tried to recall what had happened the night before.
I remembered talking with him and quickly starting to feel sleepy... and then falling asleep.

He seemed so relaxed, so I didn't move.
It was 9am, and we were supposed to be getting up soon.

"Good morning..." Diluc slowly opened his eyes.

"Morning. Uh... what happened?"

He took out his hair tie and glanced at me.
"We both fell asleep last night, it must have been because of the drinks." Yawning, Diluc moved his arms and stood up.

"Oh, I guess that makes sense. I'll go get ready, then we can go and find the treasure hoarders and fatui camps."

He nodded, and I went upstairs.

---

After getting dressed, I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened the night before.
It was slightly embarrassing, but at the same time I enjoyed it.

...

Not long afterwards, we left the house and went out looking for where they had all run off to.

"So... where do you think they could be?"

Diluc looked around.
"It won't be far, they'll probably still be looking for a place to stay. Let's go to the usual place for now, we will be able to see them from there."

I agreed and followed him to the destination.

---

Once we arrived, I walked around the area.
"I can't see anyone...?"

Diluc chuckled quietly. He knew exactly where they were, and was just waiting for me to catch on.
"Yes, they are hiding."

"Hiding? Where?" I whispered. He seemed pretty amused.

"Where they always are."

I glared at him in confusion, before looking around again. "What do you mean? I genuinely can't see anyone."

All of a sudden, Diluc kicked over some kind of tent, revealing 2 fatui skirmishers. They were holding their weapons firmly and were shocked to see us.

"The two of them were hiding to see why the others keep disappearing from this exact spot." He said, as if they weren't even there. "Plesse, restrain one of them."

I didn't expect Diluc to ask me to do that, but I didn't object.
One of them stood up to run away, though I stuck out my ankle just in time and he fell to the ground.

Diluc grabbed the other and bit into his neck. I saw lots of blood drip down the skirmisher's skin, and it completely covered Diluc's face.

He let go of the first one, and once I moved out of the way, he took the other by his collar and killed him in an instant.

I made eye contact with Diluc, and I saw the whites of his eyes were completely red, and there were dark veins under his eyes.
I had never properly seen them before, so it definitely surprised me.

"Your eyes..."

He blinked quickly, and it disappeared.
"I thought you knew my eyes did that?"

I shook my head.

"Oh... well, I hope it didn't scare you. I'm used to it happening, so I completely forgot to mention it."
Diluc wiped all of the blood off of his chin and helped me stand up.

"Are you all right?"

I nodded.

"Good. Let us head to the winery, then."

---
We got to Dawn Winery shortly afterwards, and I spotted Moco and Hillie stood outside the entrance.

"Oh god."

Diluc smiled to himself.
"Good luck, I'll see you later."

"Y/N!"
They ran towards me and pulled me into a hug.

"We missed you, it's been so long!"
They were exaggerating - it had only been a few weeks. I was happy to see them, though.

I hugged them both back.
"I missed you both too. How are things here?"

Moco rolled her eyes.
"Adelinde has been as pushy as usual. Other than that, it's been great! How are you?"

"Ah, I'm good. Thanks for asking." I grinned at them.

"That's good to hear! Come inside, we have so much to talk about!" Hillie took my hand and ran into the winery.

-Diluc's POV-
I sat down in my office.
The pile of work on my desk was not very appealing, but it had to be done at some point.

I picked up my feather, dipped it in into some ink, and began working.

I did hear some occasional voices outside my door, though not one person knocked. I got bored very quickly.

When I gazed out the window, I saw Y/N, Moco and Hillie. Of course, the two maids were as exciteable as ever, though Y/N was calm... yet she looked so happy to be there.
That put my mind at ease.

"Master Diluc?"

Adelinde opened the door and walked into my office.

"Oh, Adelinde. Nice to see you."

She gave me a warm smile.
"Nice to see you too. It has been a while. I came to tell you that your work deadline has been scrapped, and you are free to complete it whenever you like."

I sighed in relief and nodded.
"That's good, thank you for telling me."

Adelinde turned to leave the room, but I called her name.
I don't know what made me say it.
I didn't know how she'd take it.
But I did, and I almost instantly wanted to take it back.

"I think... I think I'm in love with her."

She stopped in her tracks and gazed at me.

"Y/N?"

I wished that I hadn't said it, because now I was worried that someone would overhear.

"...Yes."

Adelinde's lips curled into a smile.
"I've been waiting for this to happen, Master Diluc. I knew it would occur at some point."

The weight on my shoulders disappeared.
"You did?"

"Yes, I have. I can tell you needed to let that out, and I promise I won't say a word."
She left the room and I leaned back on my chair.

Maybe she was right?
Maybe this was bound to happen.

I hoped I would have the courage to tell Y/N soon, because I knew I couldn't bottle it in forever.

But either way, I had come to terms with my emotions, and they were real.