Chapter 29

"Um..."
I wasn't sure how to respond, as I had no idea how Kaeya would react.

"What if I said-"
I noticed he was looking away.
A few men were sat at a table. They were clearly drunk - one of them had just given themself a splinter by picking at the wood.
He struggled to pick the piece of wood out of his finger.
But once he did, it drew blood.

"Kaeya, don't."
I thought that he would go and attack them, because of the blood that was there. But weirdly enough... he didn't.

"It's not that.  I can't smell his blood. I fear that he might be a vampire. All of them, in fact."

My eyebrows furrowed, and I looked at them again. Weirdly enough, I couldn't see the mark on his finger anymore.
"May I please test my theory?"

I glared at him.
"How so?"

Kaeya reached into his pocket, and pulled out a small knife.

I felt my heart drop.

"I will not do it if you don't want me to. I can ask Diluc to, if you'd feel better."
My gaze averted from Kaeya's eyes, to the knife.

"I'll do it. Just... don't let them hurt me." I whispered, and took the knife into my hand.

Kaeya's POV
Y/N took the knife.
I actually expected her to deny my request. I made sure to keep my eyes on the men at the table, so that they couldn't run off without me knowing.

She slowly dragged the blade across her palm, drawing blood.
It took everything inside me not to drain all of the blood from her body. The only thing keeping me from that was Diluc's happiness.

She winced in pain and put the knife in her own pocket.

When I turned back to the table, the one who got a splinter was gone.

"Ah!"
He grabbed Y/N by the throat and pushed her up against the tavern's walls, restricting her from breathing.

"You look... delicious..."
He whispered into her ear.

The others were subtly cheering him on. They looked as if they wanted to eat her... literally.

"K...K-"
I quickly realized that he was going to kill her, and I twisted his wrist so far back that I must've broken something.
Y/N almost fell to the ground, but she caught on to a table just in time.

"May I ask, what's going-"
Diluc got about halfway up the stairs, before he realized what was happening.

"Kaeya, I'm going to kill you-"

Y/N shook her head and slowly regained her balance.
"It... wasn't him..."

Diluc looked at her and his eyes visibly softened. That gave me an answer to my question that I asked before.

I didn't let go of the man's wrist.
He was yelling at me in pain.

"H-Hey, stop!"

"Who turned you?"
I asked, while Diluc was helping Y/N. The other vampires had already run off, meaning we were going to have to kill them.

"T-This one guy from that restaurant by the water fountain... please, you gotta believe me!"

Xiong.

"When did he turn you?"

I knew the pain wouldn't let him think straight, but I did not want to risk letting him run off like his buddies did.

"A... A few weeks ago! Please, spare me-"
Before he could say anything else, I snapped his neck in less than a second.

"Looks like we have some vampires to hunt..."

Diluc's POV
Y/N was holding on to my arm.
She seemed surprised after Kaeya snapped his neck like that.

"Xiong turned people before he died, then. Clever."
I sighed, before noticing people were entering the tavern.

"Charles will be here any minute now. Kaeya, you dispose of him. We'll hunt the others down later in the evening."

Kaeya glared at me.
"Why am I the one disposing of him?"

"Because you're the one who killed him. Just do it, we'll meet up later."

---

My POV
We got back home shortly after Charles got to the tavern for his shift.

"Are you hurt?"
Diluc closed the door behind him and took my hand.

"No, I'm okay..."

"I'm sorry that tonight went this way. Whenever things start to get better, someone always has to ruin it. I promise everything will be back to normal soon."

I smiled and nodded.
"I believe you, but... why do you need to hunt the others?"

"Me and Kaeya are not bad vampires. The others oppose a threat to Mondstadt, and we simply can't allow that."
Diluc looked outside. It was already dark, meaning he'd have to go and meet Kaeya soon.

"Can't I come with you?"

He chuckled and gently put his hand on my cheek.
"I'd love for you to come with us, but... They will not hesitate to harm you, and I can't let that happen. I promised."

"Well, a promise is a promise... when will you be back?"

Diluc shrugged his shoulders.
"I'm sorry, I don't know. It depends. I will not leave you alone for long, though. Don't you worry~"

"Alright. Be careful, okay?"
I added, quietly laughing.

"Of course. Remember to get some rest. Don't hesitate to get anything you need, as well."

He turned to leave the house, but something in my mind convinced me grab his shirt.

"Hmm?"

I gazed into his eyes for a second, before pressing my lips against his.

Diluc obviously wanted to stay there forever, but I had to pull away.
"You need to go, it's already pitch black outside."

"Pft, fine..." He started, grinning at me. "I love you, see you later."

"I love you more."