Chapter 32

"I have to be honest, Y/N..."

Diluc put his hand on my shoulder. I turned around and gave him a puzzled look.
He was gazing down at the floor.

"I am... not too sure about this. I want you to be a vampire, but...-"

I smiled and shook my head.
"It's okay, if it's too early for you, then we can talk about it another time... I shouldn't have pushed it on you so early."

He let out a sigh.
"It's not that. I'm... worried, for you. It was overwhelming for me, and I don't want to think about what it will be like for you."

"I'll have you to help me if I need it?"
I did sound quite pushy... and I felt bad. But I did want it, and we both knew Diluc wanted it at the same time. "Maybe... you could tell me everything you felt when you first turned? Will that help?"

He looked up at me.
"Yes... I suppose it will. I won't sugarcoat it."

We sat down in comfortable silence for a little while, before Diluc started to speak.

"Where should I start? Well... the cravings are almost unbearable. I could not see anyone without thinking that they are just something to feed on. Human blood bags."

"Do you still feel that way? Even now?"

"Barely. It took me a while, but I learnt to control the urge. I can help you with that, easily, though... when I say 'unbearable', I mean it."

He leaned back and took a deep breath.
"Metaphorically, my skin felt like sandpaper... and I was uncontrollably angry all the time. Like... I wanted to rip everything that I came into contact with, but I knew I couldn't do so."

"Wait, so..." I looked around, thinking to myself. "Did Kaeya help you with that one?"

Diluc shook his head and chuckled - but it didn't sound like laughter. More... sadness.
"No, no, I dealt with that myself."

"Oh..? How?"

"By feeding on people other than civillians. You know, the fatui, treasure hoarders, sometimes even others. By killing them, I know I am doing it for a good cause. Plus... I don't have to feel guilty afterwards."

"Guilt is a big thing then, huh..."
He nodded as he reached over to run his fingers through my hair.
I could tell that it was hard for him to talk about this, especially because he had to overcome all of it alone.

"Yes, the memory of killing innocent people stays with you forever. But it's different for everybody, I suppose." He added. "I guess that covers the rest of it - you know everything else."

"Hm... I didn't know any of this before we met, so I won't forget anything."

"Good... now that I've told you everything I remember... do you want this?"

Did I?

I could not know for sure... but I did know that I didn't want to be hurt by people anymore, and I wanted to be by Diluc's side forever..

"...Yes, I do. As long as you will be there to help me."

"Okay." Diluc took my hand. "I will guide you through this. Is there anything else you'd like to know before the time comes?"

"When you turn me... what will that be like? Will it hurt?"

"No, it won't hurt. You just have to drink some of my blood, and then once you wake up you'll be a vampire.   Sleeping through it is better than being awake."

Just thinking about the taste of blood made me feel sick. Of course, as a human.
"Oh...? How much blood will it be?"

Diluc's eyebrows furrowed, indicating that he was thinking about it. I was hoping that it wasn't a lot.
"Not much," He said, to my relief. "as long as my blood is in your system, it doesn't matter."

---

I spent the entire day making sure that I wanted to do it.
I did, but I admit... I was scared. Scared that I would regret it.

By the time we went to bed, it was midnight. My heart was pounding and  I felt my hands starting to shake.
Immortality and drinking blood? It sounded like a nightmare... yet there I was, willingly letting it happen.

Diluc noticed my nervousness and immediately tried to reassure me.
"Y/N, I've said this many times, you don't have to do this."

"I want to... I'm just... scared."

He pulled me into his embrace, making sure that I was entirely comfortable.
"What are you scared of? I can... I can try and come up with a solution...?"

"I don't know... I can't explain it..."

We both knew that this day was going to come either way, so there was nothing we could do about it.

"Well, then... tell me when you are ready. Everything will be okay after tomorrow, I swear."

He took my chin and looked into my eyes. It felt like time had stopped.
"May I?"
I didn't know what he was going to do, but I agreed anyway. The only thing I wanted at that moment was him.

Diluc leaned forward and kissed me. It was slow, but romantic and comforting.
Moments later we both pulled away; I finally felt the slightest of confidence.

"I... I think I'm ready now."

He smiled and nodded.
I watched closely as he lifted his wrist and bit on it enough that it drew blood.
"Take your time, it's going to be alright."

I gently held his wrist and stared down at the crimson liquid that was threatening to drip on to the sheets.
I sighed - if I didn't do it, I never would have.

Before I even realized it myself, I could taste Diluc's blood.
It tasted metallic and kind of salty... Even that was enough to make me move away and gag.

"Eugh... at least that's over and done with..."

He let out a soft laugh and stroked my hair.
"Yes... I can't help but feel slightly more... relaxed, don't you?"

I took a deep breath. It was over, we didn't have to be anxious anymore. That was the most relaxing thing.
"Me too. Thank you for... being there for me."

"What sort of partner would I be if I weren't?" He rhetorically asked, before lovingly kissing my head. "Get some rest, all right? I will be here for you all night long, and even after that."

So... everything did go according to plan then, huh.