Like a shadow of the past

(A/N) This chapter will contain some triggers. PTSD, mentioned abuse, and mentioned gaslighting. This is where the darker themes of my story start to reveal themselves.

"That would be 300 yen please." The accountant said with a clearly fake smile plastered over her face like the advert Pieck had seen on a billboard earlier today.

Pieck passed the money to the lady, took her coffee, and left the store.

The steaming coffee in her hands contrasted well with the brittle morning air. 

Yesterday, Pieck and the rest of class 1A had completed multiple entrance tests. Turned out, Sensei Aizawa had been bluffing about the expulsion, he had just been wanting the class to give their all.

Pieck brought the coffee up to her lips, and drank her fill, careful not to burn her tongue. She could litterally feel the warm liquid thaw her freezing body from the inside-out.

She gave a relieved sigh, her eye-lids closed to the outer world.

Big mistake.

It happened too sudden for the titan shifter to react, she felt a gnarly hand grip the back of her neck.

Pieck's eyes shot open at the familiar feeling, yet didn't move a muscle. Her heart was beating like a drum.

Pieck felt someone exhale on her uncovered neck. 

"Guess who?" The man rasped out.

Pieck felt herself start to hyperventilate. How did he find her? 

She thought it was him, ever since his first move of gripping her neck, with a pinky raised.

Pieck could only continue to stare forward as he sat on the bench right next to her, she clenched her jaw.

They sat in silence for a minute, that minute turned into two, that two into three, and finally that three into four before he said anything.

"Did you really think that we would have forgotten you?" 

Pieck kept her mouth shut.

He started absentmindedly lifting and lowering his fingers on her neck, every time Pieck felt a finger lower, she felt her heart drop with it.

"Did you really think..." his grip suddenly tightened, painfully.

"... That I would let you go so easily?" Pieck shivered, not from the cold, but from the feeling of him speak over her ear.

Suddenly, he leaned back on the bench.

Pieck opened her mouth ( which tasted like sandpaper), and softly said:

"Tenko-"

He cut her off by gripping her neck even harder, which made her hands curl into fists on her lap.

"Don't. You. Ever. Speak. That. Name. Again." He pronounced every word with a threatening growl. Too scared to speak, Pieck just nodded.

He seemed to relax at that, and with him, his grip on her neck.

"... What do you want?" Pieck tried to make the inquire sound as non-threatening as possible.

He seemed to not hear her.

"Do you remember when we used to play as children?"And just like that, all of the memories that she had locked away in a dark corner of her mind resurfaced like a boiling pot. How could she forget? All the times when she was locked in a room with him, when he would use his quirk on her for 'fun', and when she would dig her nails into the door for Theo to let her out, saying that she was sorry for doing something she shouldn't even be sorry for.

Pieck realised that she had yet to answer him.

"... Yes." She sounded so broken, her voice was thick with emotion.

His eyes lightened in happiness.

"Ah, yes, those were the good times." He nodded, as though as his evaluation was without fault.

"What does that have to do with you being here?" Pieck wanted to be literally anywhere but here.

"Soon, we will meet again. And when we do: You will do my bidding. Just like you were made to." Pieck hated how he talked like she was his, a tool for his use. 

He suddenly stood up, his grip left neck, he then started walking away.

Pieck was stock-still, knowing that if she moved, reality would come crashing down on her.

Pieck had only been kidding herself, how could a monster like her become a hero? A monster with more blood on her hands than a seasoned war veteran.

How many people had begged her for mercy? How many did she kill in cold blood? How many heroes? How many children did she make father and motherless? How many parents did she make childless?

she couldn't count.

Pieck's once warm coffee had turned cold. When she sipped it, only that bitter taste met her taste buds.

Pieck had learned something today, something that she would never forget.

No matter how much she pretended, no matter how many times she would try to forget:

Tomura Shigiraki would always be around the corner to remind her.