(15) Just Us

Author's note: Heads up! There's smut in this chapter. I put a warning in case yall want to skip it.

12:00 pm

Hunter's POV

*Tweet Tweet*

"Errr. Who's making that noise?"

*Chirp*

"Five more minutes," I mumbled and waved my hand around. Before I knew it, I felt a particular bird peck my forehead and pull a strand of my hair.

"Ow ow ow. Okay okay, I'm up I'm up. Jeez," I lifted my torso up to get a good view of Flapjack who seemed happy to see that I'm awake.

"Hey Flapjack. Nice to see you looking refreshed this afternoon. Did you sleep well?" My bird chirped, answering my question.

"I'm guessing you did. I slept pretty good too. Honestly, this is the best sleep I've ever gotten in years. Usually Belos would make me wake up at five in the morning to start my duties. It's tough but I managed to get through it," I let out a small smile. Flapjack cooed and flew over to my left shoulder to rub its face on my cheek.

"You really know how to put a smile on my face," I stared at my partner. Flapjack fluttered on the dirt and picked up a tiny stick about the size of a coin. The cardinal began writing out something which caused me to be amazed at how a bird can write.

"Did you write out boy?"

*Chirp*

"That's amazing! I've never seen a bird write out words. You must have special powers or something. Wait a minute. What do you mean when you wrote boy? Are you saying you're a boy?"

*Tweet*

"Wow. It's good to know that you're a boy just like me. We are really going to get along with each other. I never had a friend who's a boy, so you're the first one. Can you write something else?" I was curious to see if Flapjack would write anything else. He began carving out a couple of letters then stopped to show he was finished.

"Friend. Yup. You and I are friends. Oh, I totally forgot to introduce myself. My name is Hunter. I'm also known as the Golden Guard since I wear a lot of golden colored clothing," I scratched the back of my head. I heard my stomach rumble in hunger when I sat down criss-cross.

"I should make us breakfast. What do you birds eat? Insects? Seeds? Actually, I think I have some in my bag. I just need to look for-" I was interrupted when Flapjack started chirping frantically. I sensed something was wrong until I heard someone withdraw their sword from behind me. I turned around to see a familiar face pointing her sword near my neck. My eyes fully opened, and I gulped in fear that the knight would kill me in an instant.

"What're you doing here on my king's property, Golden Guard?" Tan skin. Brown eyes. Pearly, white teeth. Short, dark, messy hair. Scar on the side of her face. Edalyn's daughter. Luz.

"I don't need to answer your stupid question," I snarled. I stopped when Flapjack flew towards the knight and nipped her ear. It seemed like he was trying to fight her off.

"Ow little dude. Your beak hurts," Eda's daughter grabbed Flapjack.

"Don't hurt him!" I panicked.

"Relax man. I would never hurt this little cutie," Luz gently placed Flapjack onto the handle of her sword as he hopped his way to the top of my head. The woman in front of me still had her sword beneath my chin.

"We meet again Hunter. I didn't expect to see you here camping out for the day. I'll ask again, what're you doing here on King Alador's land?" She's not going to let this go is she?