Chapter 6 I Miss Pin...

The few days went by smoothly. Having their phones charged meant Firey and Leafy would not have to worry about charging their phones for a good long while.

Leafy and Firey fell into a rhythm of waking up, eating fruit for breakfast, catching fish and harvesting coconuts, fruits, and berries, making fire and getting materials to keep the fire going, cooking and eating lunch and dinner, then later, having fun and talking to each other to catch up on the times they missed with each other.

There were times Firey and Leafy would play games, as well. Such as, using a coconut as a ball to play catch, tossing rocks into the sea and trying to skip them, and even going through their belongings from the boat to play board games and card games.

***************

Things seemed to be going well for the most part. However, poor Firey would see Leafy feeling down about something.

Firey could not exactly pinpoint it, but he knew something was up. He knew Leafy well enough to know something was wrong and off about Leafy.

So one day, he decided to talk to her about it.

***************

"Hey, Leafy, could you come here, please? I want to talk to you.", he said to her, calling from the hut. "Um, OK, sure, I am coming.", Leafy said. Leafy was confused. What would Firey want to talk to her about?

Whatever it was, what seemed even more confusing was how Firey asked to talk to her. The tone of voice was sounding quite concerning. Nonetheless, Leafy went over to Firey to see what was up.

As Leafy went inside, she saw Firey sitting on the couch in the main room, looking quite serious. "Here, sit down, and make yourself comfy.", he said. Leafy obeyed.

Firey took a deep breath and looked over at Leafy.

"Leafy, I have noticed that you seem like you are sad or feeling down about something. You know you can always talk to me about anything. I promise I am not the same Firey that ignored you all those years, I am a different, caring Firey, now. I just hope that whatever is bothering you, I can help out. But, I also understand if you need time to yourself if you don't feel like talking to me right now about it.", he explained in a serious tone.

Leafy sighed. She had been caught. She opened her mouth to talk, but nothing came out. Then, once again, she felt tears coming to her eyes.

Oh, no! Not again!

"Oh my, tree! Not again! Why do I always have to show tears even when I am not even the least bit upset?! It is so frustrating! And why do I show it around Firey? Am I going weaker than I was before? What is wrong with me?!", she thought to herself.

Firey noticed the tears and immediately shoved a Yoyleberry in his mouth. He turned to metal almost right afterwards. After the transformation, he pulled Leafy into a hug. Leafy tried to resist, but found herself almost absent-mindedly hugging back.

"What is going on with me?", Leafy wondered to herself again.

Leafy couldn't keep it back and even though she tried, the tears kept falling from her eyes. Firey patted her back.

"There, there, Leafy, let it all out. You will feel better. I am here for you.", Firey soothed.

Leafy reluctantly allowed some tears to fall and gently sobbed.

Leafy and Firey soon pulled away as Leafy quickly finished her little crying session.

Leafy tried to wipe away her tears quickly. She wanted nothing more to do with her tears and weakness. At least, that's how it always felt to her. Being weak. But, Firey saw right through her and shook his head.

Leafy saw that Firey disapproved of what she was trying to do. She was confused. Why did Firey not see her as weak and weird? Why did he always comfort her when she was sad, even when there was no good reason to be sad?

What was happening?!

Leafy looked around, trying to avoid Firey's gaze to avoid making things more awkward as she felt that what was happening, but unfortunately for her, she blew it by letting out a loud, rude sniffle. She blushed, profusely. Firey simply smiled warmly, and handed her a tissue. Leafy reluctantly took it, and blew her nose.

She tried to make the blowing session quiet, only for it to be loud and obnoxious. "Sorry.", she said, simply.

Firey shook his head. "Stop apologizing and stop hiding this, Leafy! You are better than this! Why do you keep hiding your feelings? You have got to let them out!"

"Why?! Why should I let them out? It makes no sense! I am just weak and weird by doing this. Crying means that you are weak and it is embarrassing. I... I... why are you... so nice about... it?", Leafy trailed off as tears as big as golf balls fell from her eyes.

Firey stared in shock at Leafy's words. "Oh, so that's how you feel about crying and letting you feelings show.", he said as he finally understood.

"Leafy, it is always important to let your feelings be shown. You are NOT weak by letting them be known and by crying! In fact, crying, especially in front of others, means that you are POWERFUL and STRONG!!!!!!! And in no way is THAT embarrassing! I care about you, Leafy! I really do and no matter what, I will ALWAYS be by your side, because THAT'S what a true friend does!", Firey said in a grand speech.

It was truly a powerful speech.

Leafy looked over towards Firey. She was shocked. She never thought that crying and letting true feelings show was that important. Or that it was a sign of true bravery. 

She looked over at Firey.

Now it was time to talk.

"The truth is, I miss Pin.", she paused before continuing. "I miss her so much! She was my greatest friend in the whole world! We had known each other since we were young kids. Then..., *sigh* *sniffle* there was the competition... it... made us grow apart... until... *sniffle* I LOST her. I LOST HER!!!! *sniffle* *sniffle*", Leafy became more and more lost in her sorrow.

"How could I lose her?! We had an alliance.
We were best friends. Then, we grew apart and we... *sigh*"

Firey looked at with a pain in his heart.

"I am SO sorry, Leafy! I had no idea you were going through this.", Firey said, sadly. "I know things look rough right now and I know you are sad, but, I am sure we will see Pin and the others again. I am sure that by then you will be able to be friends again and you will be with her having the best times again.", he remarked.

Leafy looked at Firey and smiled. "Yeah, you are right, I guess I am just so... hurt and confused that I don't know what to do.", she said.

Firey frowned.

"Come here, and you will feel better.", he said, tenderly.

And with that, Leafy went over to Firey and broke down, crying loudly and wailing.  Everything Leafy had ever lost because of the stupid mistake she did in the competition, just destroyed her.

But, at last, she could finally start to heal.

Leafy cried until she fell asleep, laying down on the couch with Firey watching over her. Firey got up and placed a pillow from the boat under her head and a blanket over her.

"Sweet dreams, my best friend. I hope you found your peace.", he said as he left.

**************

At long last, Leafy could finally be given... a second chance.